Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, I found my oil leak, but now i have a ?

Last night I went out, filled my tank and check the fluids as I tend to do when there's a suspicion that something might be leaking/burning, and my oil level was sitting around 3/4. I filled it maybe 2 weeks ago, thinking its not too bad since its used a lot (I think its averaging 1k mi/wk) filled it back up so it was on the F and went on my way. My car's been making a grinding sound, esp accelerating in 1-2 gear, maybe cuz my rpms usually go higher in those 2 gears than in the other 2? Anyways the grinding sound died down for about 20 min then came back so I checked the oil again and it's back down to 3/4. Definate leak so Im looking and there's huge leak where my valve cover gasket is on the drivers side, like an inch long on the bottom right corner. So oil's getting on my cv boot and I also notice its clicking now too (my stereo is up too loud to actually hear anything so Im not sure how long this has been going on) Go home check it out from under and theres oil EVERYWHERE!!!! Apparently its been leaking a lot longer than a thought, Not sure yet but the way it looks the oil pan gasket went too, unless of course theres just a mad amount of buildup thanks to the original leak.

My question is, wtf is that grinding sound? sounds a little metallic, if it counts my tranny does need to flushed (last time i check it it looked nasty, as in dark and really...nasty!) havent had the chance to do that just yet I seem to end up with other weekend projects that have been more important. Also Im thinking I want to clean up the mess under the hood before I tear stuff off and have to wipe everything down by hand, will a pressure washer do? I keep thinking using a pressure washer will do more damage than good on a FI car (obviously I have more hands on experience with a carbed, much less electrical car) but since there's no hanging/stray wires anywhere I should be fine correct?

It was leaking from the driver's side valve cover towards the back of the motor, Fixed that, checked the other side, that one was leaking too almost in the same damn spot too but just enough to leave its trail after I pressure washed the motor (the pressure washer is like 11mi away btw, so there's a lil bit of driving to do and doesnt lose oil when its sitting) so far havent lost any oil, its been driven a good 150 mi today, the burning oil smell is gone (that was from oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold, also creating the occasional mystery smoke under the hood) so I think I'm good to go. Anyone know if the oil dripping onto the cv boots gonna affect it? It wasnt clicking when I first got the car for sure, just dont know how long it's been doing that-after mentioning it to my dad he's thinking the clicking is temporary and will clear up since there's nothing dripping on the boot anymore.

Still havent figured out wtf the grinding sound is, my only guess is metal shavings or something similar in the oil pan, but how it got there if it's true I dont know, I know the owners previous had the car maintenced at the local subaru dealership, also kept a record of fluids changes/mileage on it as well. Maybe the tranny? it does slip a little but not horribly, I'm thinking that could be due to the condition of the fluid tho.

If the clicking is from a worn CV joint it will not get better by itself. Change the axle and it will get better. Overheated AT fluid turns acidic. That's why when you see dark red AT fluid with a burnt smell, change it ASAP. That stuff is eating away at your tranny and seals while you do something else every weekend.

That "metalic" noise probably is from the transmission. It may even be related to the burnt fluid in your AT. Of all your car's probems, that's the one that would concern me the most. Because broken transmissions are almost never cheap to replace or repair. Drain the AT and hope for the best.