Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(prizeless) Contest: Guess the Problem

I have spent too many hours working recently, so thought I would start something silly, so:

Guess why my XT has water in the cylinder.

Ok, so this isn't much of a game, since there are really just 2 main causes. But then again, maybe I am being optimistic that even 2 people will respond! :lol:

Ok, 88 XT MFPI (spider manifold), 5-speed. Bought Christmas Eve, PO said that former BF said that HG was blown. Drove it 70 miles home with some heating up (radiator is 2/3 plugged, running the heater brought the temp to normal). Later, drove 320 mile trip over Cascade passes.

Sub-freezing morning (coolant had very little anti-freeze), started it up with difficulty (possible water in cyls then), got on freeway onramp to the accompaniment(sp) of a THICK cloud of something behind me (before sunrise, couldn't tell color but could guess). Temp climbed dramatically. Parked it, came back that afternoon, aded water and limped it back home.

Three weeks later, pulled passenger side plugs and cranked, with 2 spouts of water from the plug holes.

I am about to tear into it and thought I would se who would be the first to correctly guess what I will find. Maybe I will send the winner the appropriate bad gasket/part...

a tanzanian field mouse chewed it's way through your heater core, spit up what he chewed through,sealed himself inside and is doing expirements with different hoses too see where the water will come out next.i believe right now he is working with the main cooling passage,he chewed a notch between the valve seats and is seeing where else he can make an aquaduct for his new home.....

...So the prize is a bad old subaru part? Bah! I've gots loads of those things......

How else do you fix bad old Subarus but to use bad old Subaru parts???

a tanzanian field mouse...

Isn't there a marsupial that fills that niche? OH, sorry, I was thinking Tasmanian... natural mistake.

So, so far we have:

a) kingbodole: Stating the obvious

B) monstaru: What is he talking about, what is he on, and why isn't he sharing?

c) northguy: A lesson in counting

NEXT!

Are you sure water came from both plug holes?

If so, I vote for a intake manifold coolant passage leaking into the intake ports...

I am only about 75% sure... I was in the driver's seat. I just (this afternoon) used my remote starter, and nothing came out (after running for 10 minutes Wednesday to move it and sitting since then). After clearing any possible fluid, i did a compression test.

Is there water in the oil? That should tell you if its a HG or not.

You trying to take the fun out of this? :lol: If I answer this then who will continue to post???

Actually, I forgot this little detail when I started this. Thanks for reminding me (and yes, I had looked at this already).

Currently:

d) XSNRG: Using logic, and questioning my ablility to observe an event not directly observable from where I was. :grin:

e) Turbone: Being a killjoy and asking an obvious question

Anybody else?

too much pie, that's your problem

Ok, I'm fat, so what does that have to do with it? :grin: Besides, I prefer cake... chocolate if you must know. Glad you asked.

Cracked block. The bulk of the problem is stated to have happened in "sub freezing temps" with little anti-freeze in the coolant.

Might be, but "sub-freezing" here means about 29-30 degrees. Not everybody opens up their refrigerator to get warm. :-p Also, had been driven the evening before. I certainly hope not...

Currently:

d) XSNRG: Using logic, and questioning my ablility to observe an event not directly observable from where I was. :grin:

e) Turbone: Being a killjoy and asking an obvious question

f) operose: Owner overeats and is fat.

g) northguy: (Persistance!) Cracked block.

Anybody else?

hm, somehow you got ice/water thru the air intake system and into the intake manifold, and then into the intake valves and the combustion chamber?

Hmmm... my current-to-date experience with "off road" is driving down my dirt driveway. Not too many ops on the highway to ingest water through the snorkus, even in Watershington. Problem (water in cyl) continued during warm spell.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, no update yet. Between being home only 3 hours between each shift (buddy, you are cutting into my sleep time! :grin: ) during the week and last weekend's PAP specials, I haven't done a darn thing yet.

I am hopeful for this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
I bet you were sleep walking one night and you went out and pulled a sparkplug and tinkled down the hole :D

How'd ya guess??? This might work, except...

a) I am nearly blind without my glasses

B) I don't bother putting on my glasses to "go" during the night

c) because of a) and B), and living with fussy females, i wouldn't be in a "position" to aim, and

d) even awake and with glasses, my aim isn't THAT good.

Oh, and

e) sparkplug is already out.

The answer will have to wait, as I slightly dislocated my right knee last weekend and it still doesn't want to stay in place. :( Makes my manual laborer job exciting...

However, if Rob would revisit an earlier post of his and JUST ASK THE QUESTION he could probably claim the prize. :headbang: