Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator Fans / Overheating

I have a 97 Outback Wagon with 170000 miles on it. The head gaskets were replaced at 90000 miles.

Yesterday after I stopped the car near home for 2 minutes (check the mailbox), then got back in and started it up I noticed the temperature gage was pegged. I do not know how long it had been that way, my drive home is usually 45 min.

It looks like I lost some coolant around the overflow tank. I added maybe a 1/2 gallon, if that. I test drove it around town for 20 minutes and the gage stayed in the mid-range.

I have read all the posts I could find on overheating. I will be sure to get all the air out of the cooling system in the morning, as well as check for bubbles in the overflow tank. I hope I do not have a head gasket problem again!!

The raidator has two fans. The driver-side fan would come on. But I never saw the passenger side fan come on. I checked the fuses and they are good.

Are both of these fans supposed to come on at the same time?

Thanks,

Mike

one fan is for your a/c, it sucks aditional air through a/c rad. and coolant rad. at least im pretty sure. half a gallon is a big deal, that is like a fifth of the total coolant in the car. look under oil filler cap for the tell-tale milky residue and oil in overflow.

~Josh~