Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch pedal questions - spring and switch

I just bought this '99 2.2 legacy wagon with 77k, and a new clutch. My clutch pedal has been sticking just lower than my brake pedal, clutch seems fully engaged at that point. The pedal pops up with a light tap. I can see the spring on the pedal is overcentering at that point: pushing the pedal down below that point and pushing it up above that point. The spring on the tranny lever looks in good shape, and seems to be hooked where it logically should be to pull on the cable, raising the pedal. The clutch cable at the tranny lever is at the middle of it's adjustment. Is this pedal sticking common? I expect the fix will be to bend the spring on the tranny shorter or replace it with something stronger.

This clutch pedal does all it's work in the bottom few inches, is that normal for these cars?

At the top of it's travel the clutch pedal hits a switch with a small plunger. The pedal has a small hole right where the plunger hits, so the plunger just sticks through that hole instead of being pressed in. I suspect there should be something else there, like a pad that sticks in that hole. I suspect this is why my cruise control is inop, it thinks my clutch pedal is down.

The boot over the clutch lever on the tranny is torn, where best to get a new one?

Thanks!

get out your 10mm and 12mm wrenches and adjust the clutch so that it starts to disengage about and inch from the top (instead of in the bottom few inches)...You will need to 'tighten' the adjustment further onto the cable...also, if you have Hill Holder, be sure that that still works right after you make the adjustment.

About the Clutch Up switch pad, yes, I've seen that happen before. you can either go to a yard and snag the lil' plastic/rubber pad, or improvise your own out of stuff you have lying around.

It worked, thanks! Fortunately the mechanic didn't tighten the nuts on the cable end. I also got the cruise control working with a piece of tape over the hole in the clutch pedal arm, so that's solved too. The pedal seems uncomfortably high right now, I'll look for a pad on a threaded rod to put in the hole where the tape is, maybe I can get the pedal down a few inches.