Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this hatch 2wd or 4wd?

I agree with Junkie, looks like 2WD.

Even easier, look on the left lower corner of the hatch, if it has a 4WD emblem your in biz, if there is no emblem, 2WD. This is not as reliable since the hatch could be changed or the emblem off but quicker.

Looks like a nice car:burnout

Gimme a vin and I'll tell you!

It must be a DL, that would explain the steel wheels and no roof rack. In 1983 they didn't make a DL with 4wd. 1981 and 1982 had a different grille.

If it is a 4wd the rear suspension is toast!

My money's on 2wd!:confused:

It's no DL. It would have 2 head lights, not 4. I would bet 50 bucks that it is indeed a 2wd.

It rides low, has no mud flaps.

Chances are, it's a later model, it may have a young hydrolic motor in it. Could be wort getting just for the engine. I'm guessing later model because it looks like the front bumper is part chrome.

Do you mean a motor with hydraulic lifters? When (year) did they go to this? And, forgive my ignorance, but why are the hydraulics so much better? No adjustment?

BTW, congrats on the Rubicon outing. You guys are nuts. You've inspired me to go down and do a Baja outing (500 miles) with a bunch of trucks and Jeeps next year. Not nearly as technical as Rubicon.....mostly sand, rock and water crossings. But I wanna do it just to say I did! Gotta get a new rig first tho.....

I'll do a sep post on the Baja goal a little later with a link to the folks that organize it. (Ohh, I just hijacked my own thread for a second....doh.)

Just kidding about the vin, if you had it we wouldn't be here!

In the 1986 brochure section of the board here, it shows only the 4WD GL had a black bumper. If someone can see a chrome section on the front bumper it would not be 4wd! :confused:

Still voting with everyone else...2wd!

For what it's worth...

Glenn,

cars...

I gamma corrected the picture, and it's definitely a 2wd. There's no brace bar under the front bumper, and the plastic bumper sides are the fat 2wd ones. It also appears to have a 3rd brake light which verifies that it's an '86 or newer car.

Now for the interesting stuff. It's possible that it could have an EA71 engine!! In '86 and '87 they made some 1.6L 2wd 5spd GL Hatchbacks. The EA71 engine never had hydraulic lifters.

If it has an EA81, you can easily see if it has hydraulic lifters by looking at the valve covers. The hydraulic lifter engines have stickers on the valve covers that say not to adjust the valves.

It has recently come to my attention that models with different transmissions came with different transmission tunnels in the floor, so I would only try to do a 4wd swap on it if it has an automatic transmission. The 2wd manual models had a smaller tranny tunnel that would need beaten out to accomodate a 4wd tranny.

Gamma-corrected the picture? And you could see all THAT? Whoa.

That's very interesting info. I found out for sure it is a 2wd. Not sure if it is an ea71; I did not go over to look at it due to the 2wd. Decided I dont wanna mess with a swap right off the bat!

Tranny tunnel: Weird. Why would they go to the trouble of making floor pans and firewalls with two different size tunnels?

Lifters: That's great info....thanks.