Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat smells!

'84 brat. We finally have a kickass monsoon season this year. But the brat smells like well used converse sneakers. Anyone had this problem, where should I look? Water must be getting in somewhere. Thanks, (first time posting on the new board).

Soobs, gotta love em.

'78 brat, 3"lift, weber, 14's.

'84 auto, cruise machine!

What kind of smell and where is it coming from? That will determine how to get rid of the smell. If its from water getting inside you want to fix the holes then get something to dry things up. I can't remember what it's called but there is this thing you can toss under you seat that is basically a big bag of dessicant (sp?) which is like those little white bags of "DO NOT EAT" that usually comes with electronics and other various things. You'll also want to clean things out really good. For a temporary solution, Febreeze works pretty good. Hope this helps.

Jason

What kind of food is under the seats?:clap:

After you remove the french fries and candy check your front foot wells on the out side.

I did this and found an 8" hole on each side:mad: makes a good foot rest though!

Any holes on the belly pan will allow water to get in and give you that less than fresh feeling:slobber:

I once lost a gallon of milk in my back seat, took a month before I could drive with the windows up:eek:

Good luck,

Glenn

82 Hatch, transforming....

01 Forester, jealous

Had that musty/wet smell in my '82, 'specially after a heavy rain. Drivers side carpet would be wet.. Pulled the carpet out, was kinda worn out anyway. Found a hole in the floorboard, right by the kickpanel/firewall/wheelwell joint....SUCKS!!!. Anyways, was driving around during another downpour, and had water dripping down from the dash...?!!???!! Haven't got around to trying to get an eyeball up under the dash yet, but I'm thinking there's a blocked vent, drain, or a rust hole in the cowl area. That sucks even worse...Hoping that I'll find it this winter during the teardown/rust repair and repaint that I have planned. Just another possibility here..................

Had an older Turbo that smelled musty from sitting for two years. Zap had an "home" remedy from an old Sube mechanic. Apple parts. Cut up a could of apples into segments (the more the better) and spread them around the floor of the car front and rear. As they dry out, they will pull the musty odor out of the car. Replace them every two weeks or so until the odor is gone. I tried everything on the turbo (baking soda, air fresheners, fabreeze, etc.); nothing worked until I cut up some old apples.

Ed what a great Ezap suggestion, I am all for organic remadies.

Love the smell of apples.

My only problem with it is, living in the country I have resident

multimice. Bet they would just love to snack on apples.

I deal with mice nest vent filters continuely.

I doubt the apples would be there long enough to absorb the smell LOL.

Fresh whole cloves are another strong odour killer. I remember making a "scent ball" in grade 2 or so by taking cloves and jamming them into the skin of an orange. It was actually pretty good.

My favourite thing to do is go to a local cabinet shop and get a bag of sawdust from their dust collector. Then, I'll put it into a cloth sack, and toss it on the floor of the back seat. I love the smell of sawdust, and it makes driving a little nicer.

My 84' brat smells like old people and bacon!

seriously!

this is what happened, I am the third or fourth owner.

the 1 or 2 owner smoked, they leaft a yellow cealing and a musty smell (not a smokey smell).

it had a oil leak (really!:lol:)

I bought it from an old guy, and somehow he left it smelling like old people.

I put a new-car smell air freshinger in it.

that all mixed together to make a bacon(I don't know how but it did) and an old people smell.

I am serious, and the scary thing is I am starting to like the smell:boohoo: