Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Your MPG on 2.5i...2.5T...3.0

As I continue to investigate the potential purchase of an Outback or possibly Legacy Wagon...I would like to know those with the above engines with Automatic...what is your Miles Per Gallons that you have been able to achieve...ie all around driving...city driving...and Highway driving?

I thought this would be more of a bench mark then brochures.

Thanks Again!!

have had a 2004 3.0 since last april. Mileage is 24mpg for running around town, slightly more for extended interstate driving at less than 65, about 24mpg for speeds greater than 65 on the interstate. been that way since day one with tire pressures set as per the door sill label

Along with MPG readings...I asume the 2.5i engine uses 87 octane and the 2.5T and the 3.0 uses or requires premium ie91? Or will 89 grade work ok?

With price differences in gas now a days the price difference between 87 octane and 91 octane can really add up over the life of the car. I plan on keeping the car till the wheels fall off...

As mentioned the durabilty of the engine is also of importance...I would assume by now the HG problem has been solved in the 2005 2.5i?

Thanks again for your replies...

I have an '03 outback H6-3.0. I average about 24mpg so far. I think that's with winter gas. I'm hoping to get better mileage in the summer. I'd say I drive about 40/60 as in city/hwy. As for the manual, it says premium is preferred, but 89 is acceptible. I've only put premium in my tank so far, but I've only had it for less than 2 months.