Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear disc backing plates

hey all,

I think I need rear disc backing plates to complete my conversion.

The ones I have are welded to the arms (RX/XT6?). Not sure if I want to go that deep right now though the sway bar would be nice. :brow:

If anyone has an extra set to spare I'll buy em ASAP, would like to do conversion buy end on Sept for Rally X!!

thx a bunch!!

shanonsf

82 GLW

they're not welded, probably just stuck. get some good penetrant like PB Blaster, and a wire brush.. clean off the part of the arm that the plate will have to slide over and off of with the PB and the brush, make sure you take out and save (extras!) all 3 bolts per side (one has a nut on the back) . .i find that a rotating back and forth technique is good for removal. you can pry or use a hammer but don't hurt the plate too much. good luck.

baccaruda,

this wrx1ab's old project (parts doner), the three bolts are out.

it looks to have spot weld marks and a rusted/fused spot thru the plate, in other words these suckers aint coming off (at least intact)

so i am still in need of backing plates................keeping the conversion simple as possible

thx

shanonsf

82 GLW

hey guys,

not sure which ones they actually are, I believe regular rear discs from a later sube, but they were apparently spot welded on

foto attached ( i hope i did this right)

if not tell me how to post pics..........

plate got torn during 'extraction'..may need new ones

:-\

rally or bust -ha ha :headbang:

shanonsf

post-415-136027584783_thumb.jpg

Shannon. That large metal plate that is left on there, thats what needs to be beat off suspension. That backing plate is ruined :) Heheh. This is what it should look like when you finally get that plate off:

It should go from this:

04.jpg

to this:

03.jpg

There are plenty of backing plates up here Shannon. I will have Friday off and i have to goto the yard anyhow. Lemme know if you want me to pick up a set of backing plates for you

-Brian

:banghead:

ha ha ha, crap.....

good thing I only manhandled the one side. Brian if your at the yard Friday, could I order a RIGHT rear EA82 backing plate......and a side of fries......

don't worry about the intake manifold, one's in the mail....arrives tommorrow.

thx

shanonsf

82 GLW (from hell)