Ultimate Subaru Message Board

general Interchangability?!... and o2 sensor conversion..

hello there..

my '90 ej2.2 legacy runs quite well now.. thanks to help from people on here:)..

however i have a few more questions...

i)im in the u.k. and the car is a 90-91 model.. theres no provision for an 02 sensor on the exhuast.. however the harness "seems" to have some spare black and white wires that look as though they could go to one... would it be possible to retro fit the sensor?... and more importantly.. would it be worth it?!... would it increase/decrease power or drivabilty?!

ii)what items can be taken from later legacies/imprezza's to fit earlier models?!.. basically im talking about ej motors... coil amp?, coil pack?, crank sensor? cam sensor? TPS?

for example...can i put a manifold, coil pack and TPS from a 96 2.0 legacy on a 90 2.2 legacy?!...

thanks for any help...:)

Well...if you wanted to put an O2 sensor in there, you'd need to make sure the ECU could handle it. I don't quite understand how it can be a fuel injected car and not have an O2 sensor. Are you sure it doesn't have an O2 sensor?

There are some components that swap over from the imprezas, but unless you're trying to replace a broken part, I wouldn't bother swapping stuff over to give you any more power.

Well...if you wanted to put an O2 sensor in there, you'd need to make sure the ECU could handle it. I don't quite understand how it can be a fuel injected car and not have an O2 sensor. Are you sure it doesn't have an O2 sensor?

There are some components that swap over from the imprezas, but unless you're trying to replace a broken part, I wouldn't bother swapping stuff over to give you any more power.

thanks.. dont really want more power.. just want to know if i can get parts from the scrapyerd if necessary:)

o2 sensor.. theres no plug/bung/threaded piece for it in the exhaust anywhere... in the u.k. we werent running exclusively on unleaded back in '90.. so no cat converter either!.. leaded was pretty much 99% phased out about 4 years ago...

as i say there are wires on the loom that just "end".. looking at manuals i have seen they seem to come from relevant places on the ecu... s'pose i just check the error codes and see if it comes up with o2 sensor?!... wonder if all the u.k. models of this era ran with error codes as standard?!...

hmmmnnn...:)

You may want to check the codes and see if there is anything pointing to the O2 sensor. Also, you may want to find a pinout for the O2 sensor system, and check that the wires do actually go to the ECU, and you should check that there is a pin out on the ECU for those leads that does something.