Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX struts on a 1997 Impreza outback?

I have seen a couple of people ask about compatablity of WRX struts(02-03 range). I have also seen quite a few listed on e-mail some cheaper that others. Some with springs, some without. All without top mounts. I want to replace the struts on my Wife's 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback EJ-22. It has 140,000 on the original struts. Can WRX struts be fit to the 1997 Impreza? Are the top mounts the same? Also can any of these fit my other legacy's 1990-1994? Thanks.

Damon

You should really search for this type of thing first.

Yes the whole assembly will fit the Impreza and Legacy. You need new rear strut tops because GDs have a different bolt pattern than GC or BC. 05 STi front struts will NOT bolt up directly (04 will). Also the car will ride lower with WRX struts as opposed to shorter OBS stuts. It might sag in the rear of the impreza because of the heavier rear end.

Thanks for the info. I am not sure what GD, GC and BC stand for, but I assume they are strut codes? It sounds like I should do some more research. I just got finished replacing the clutch in this impreza and I have the front seal to do also. So struts are a ways off. maybe during warmer weather. Thanks for you help.

GC is the chassis code for the first generation Impreza sedan.

BC is the...................................................Legacy sedan.

I think you should look for struts and springs from a GC (or GF station car) Impreza if you wanna keep the strut swap easy. Legacy springs will not be matched for the lower weight of the Impreza, and handling/ride might be ackward.

GC is the chassis code for the first and second* generation Impreza sedan.

BC is the...................................................Legacy sedan.

I think you should look for struts and springs from a GC (or GF station car) Impreza if you wanna keep the strut swap easy. Legacy springs will not be matched for the lower weight of the Impreza, and handling/ride might be ackward.

And GD for the third gen Impreza that started with the bug eyed WRXs.

*Some people say there is a gen change between the 96 and 97 model years for Imprezas.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like GC of GF struts should work as long as I reuse my springs. GC and GF would be from 1997 to bug eye WRX (2002?) and not GD. When does GD switch? Takeing out the back seat will sure beat the old day's under 1980-1984 shearing off the top shock mounts!

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback EJ22 (140 K)

1993 Subaru Legacy MT 4x4 (194 K)

1990 Subaru Legacy MT FWD (270 K)

and many other retro 80's models....