Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jdm Ea71

Is you EA71 pre-'79? The fittings on the Air injection is different.Also the starter is top center on the older ones.This one is off to the side like all other EA81 ans EA71 after 1980??Correct me on the year,please if I'm wrong.Brats with EA71 in 1980 and 81 I believe still use the top starter.

Is you EA71 pre-'79? The fittings on the Air injection is different.Also the starter is top center on the older ones.This one is off to the side like all other EA81 ans EA71 after 1980??Correct me on the year,please if I'm wrong.Brats with EA71 in 1980 and 81 I believe still use the top starter.

You're right - I know he has a top - center starter b/c he has a 1980 hatch - that engine won't bolt in b/c the starter is on the side - I wonder if the bellhousings are interchangeable? - I bet his intake manifold won't work either b/c the late EA71's used a wider one, like the EA81 and EA82 engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my brother bid on this motor without my knowledge ..... so looks like 90 percent chance we are going to get it ... can we just use the head and other goodies off this motor and put them in the EA71 that is in the hatch now or are there going to be some differences?

A better solution would be to grab an intake off an EA81/late EA71 out of the JY - heck, even an EA82 manifold will fit - the coolant hose is routed differently tho.

Fabricating something out of your intake would be VERY hard to do as there are coolant passages in it - a JY bolt-on is your easiest & most reasonable solution.

If this engine does come through for me, about how long and how much would someone charge to put it in? We were going to do it with the help of some friends, but I just don't have the time to do it right now with work picking up. And my friends that were going to help are leaving for vacation around the time that we are planning on doing the project. If anyone is in the Western MD, North Central WV or South western PA areas and would be willing to help me out, I could possibly put a new computer in the mix ..... just built one and its sitting in a corner gathering dust DVD Burner and all ..... I know computers like the back of my hand , but older carbed cars are new to me.

It's easy. The older version flywheel cover/ rear cover interchanges to ALL EA-71s. So does the intake. Just take the JDM down to the long block and rebuild with your stuff. I've done many!

Todd

OK - I was not sure about the difference on the intake - I saw that tidbit posted on a member's webpage - the newer EA71 engines are rare enough on the east coast that I have never seen one

I did think that the flywheel cover/bellhousing would swap, but I guess I am wrong :D

I wonder if he should not keep that in case he wants a 4WD D/R tranny - that would be a really sweet setup

Short answer - no - but it should not be a very hard conversion to do

I know it will bolt right up to the side-mounted starter bellhousing on that engine you are getting - I think the driveshafts for the front end should bolt-up too - I think you will have to grab the driveshaft (must be off a 4WD D/R hatchback) and probably the 4WD linkage/shift linkage as well - clutch setup may be different too - but it is possible, with relatively little difficulty - it you have your driveshaft shortened at a custom place, you may be able to put a 5 speed D/R in - better economy - whatever swap you do, make sure the rear diff ratios for the tranny you are putting is correct (same for both cars) you will need to swap the diff too if it is a difft ratio - probably best to just swap them both