Ultimate Subaru Message Board

murphy's law in full effect

well, yesterday was the day to install the 5 speed. the car, an 85 GL 2wd auto hatch, ea81... the donor, an 85 4wd DR 5 speed wagon, ea82

sunday went great, modified the ea81 pedal box to accept the ea82 pedals, got the cable taken care of, got the 5 speed pulled out of the donor car and ready to go.

Then yesterday, we pulled the auto, no problems, went to put the 5 speed in, Murpy showed up, we needed to jack the car up higher, and didnt notice how close the hood was to the ONLY low point in the garage, a bracket for the overhead door, bit right into the hood leaving a small dent and a large gouge, did I mention I painted the car last monday :[ Also, we had to change the mounts for the radial rods so we could use the cross member for the manual trans.. so since my axles were shot and my struts were worn out, we went ahead and pulled EVERYTHING out of the front end... bolted in an ea81 rack that had been modified to use ea82 parts, modified the strut tops to mount the ea82 struts in the hatch, ea82 control arms lined up and bolted up, but the tie rod ends were different and I still havent been able to get them off the tie rods to put the right ones on, the axles are too long :[ they are in , but they've got the tranny pushed up and back several inches, and thats with the car supported on stands and the wheels hanging, I'd had to see how high the tranny got pushed up if I let the thing down :[ Kinda funny, what was supposed to be just a tranny swap now has my engine sitting next to the car, and my front end all torn apart, LOL. And to make it funnier, its my only vehicle :P

HAHAHAHA

sounds like one of my projects. if something can go wrong, it will.

When I did my clutch job, I ended up with engine on the floor(stripped to the heads), tranny on the floor and rebuilt the drivers side of the car.

Being my only legal car, and the fact that I was at work doing it. Really made me put it back together FAST