Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dropping 3at, how exaust to remove?

Well, I had the darn radiator out before I realized I dont need to pull the engine to get the auto tranny out of my 85 GL wagon.

I have a 5 sp to replace it with.

So I will leave the engine, since it's just about new anyway. I managed to get the pasenger side axel pulled out of the way today.

Will do drivers side tomarrow.

Then:

Well, sorry for not having really crawled under and had a good look yet, but will I be dropping the entire exaust system? Might be a dumb question I know.

Could also use som tips on best clutch/pressure plate/ throwout bearing deals. Where and how much.

Thanks

Pyro

You should be able to unbolt the y-pipe from the rear section and just let it drop down to the floor (assuming jackstand car height lol) and that would allow you enough room to drop the trans out. It may however be a neusance on the way back in so unbolting the mid pipe completely may be smarter. On a lift I don't take the midpipe off but its easier to manuver around the pipe on the lift.

You should be able to unbolt the y-pipe from the rear section and just let it drop down to the floor (assuming jackstand car height lol) and that would allow you enough room to drop the trans out. It may however be a neusance on the way back in so unbolting the mid pipe completely may be smarter. On a lift I don't take the midpipe off but its easier to manuver around the pipe on the lift.

Thanks. I'll sleep better. Figured there was somewhere to seperate the exaust system. I'd like to have the manual tranny in by end of tomarrow, but doubt it. I don't work that fast.

Pyro