Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 GL 2Dr. Hatchback

Are these cars rare? Why I ask is I just bought one and haven't seen any on the web at any of the sites I have been to. The one I bought is dark gray with gray interior. It has only 137,000 miles on it and is in very good shape including the high shine on the paint. I thought I got a deal on it for $1800. I am the third ower, the last owner had it for about a year and the original ower bought it just 63 miles from where I live. It has the original owners books with it. That is where I saw the first owners name and where it was purchaced new. Still looking for the source of the heat problem. Might just wait until summer to get it fixed.

Are these cars rare? Why I ask is I just bought one and haven't seen any on the web at any of the sites I have been to. The one I bought is dark gray with gray interior. It has only 137,000 miles on it and is in very good shape including the high shine on the paint. I thought I got a deal on it for $1800. I am the third ower, the last owner had it for about a year and the original ower bought it just 63 miles from where I live. It has the original owners books with it. That is where I saw the first owners name and where it was purchaced new. Still looking for the source of the heat problem. Might just wait until summer to get it fixed.

The city I live in is pretty good sized and I see a few running around, It seems the sedans and wagons were much more popular here, as for that I don't really see a lot of Justys either, I think the little hatches are cool, but I need the space of the wagon! Enjoy it!

The city I live in is pretty good sized and I see a few running around, It seems the sedans and wagons were much more popular here, as for that I don't really see a lot of Justys either, I think the little hatches are cool, but I need the space of the wagon! Enjoy it!

The reason I bought it is for a fishing car. Wanted something small with good gas mileage, for longer trips and 4x4 for the ice fishing trips. Will take it ice fishing this weekend. My ice sled fits in the back with the rear seats down just fine. Thanks for the reply.

you've GOT to love the hatches, especially the blue one I see pics of, lifted, awesome front bumper, satin black on the bottom sitting on white wagon wheels, most beautiful hatch I've ever seen wish I knew more about it.

As far as 85 GL hatches, thats what mine is, I only wish mine was in half as good of shape as yours sounds.

do we get to see some pics?

It's interesting to hear people happy to buy a car with only 137,000 miles. Mine had 300,000 and it only gave me a moment's pause before I bought it because the body was good. In some places $1800 would be a lot, but you got what you wanted, and if the body is in good condition, then why worry? You couldn't buy a different car with four wheel drive to go ice fishing for anything near that, I would guess.

lazear, huh? not a big town. you have a fish hatchery though, right? where do you fish? the colo and the yampa are my favorates. oh the car- sounds like a nice car. you did pay the premium. is your car the lillte hatch with overhead valves or the bigger hatch w/ timing belts?

Lazear has the population of 60. I go ice fishing to Vega,Blue Mesa and Crawford so far. In the summer I go to The Grand Mesa(right up the street from me on the back side) and then I go to the Gold metal waters of the Gunnison, Ridgeway, Crawford, Miramonte, Groundhog, SIlverjack and a few others.

Dont know the difference in the 2 hatches. Mine has the 1600, with I would guess the timing belt.

Are you from GJ? Yampa and Colorado huh, (greatest fisherman of all time) Thats a big statement.

you've GOT to love the hatches, especially the blue one I see pics of, lifted, awesome front bumper, satin black on the bottom sitting on white wagon wheels, most beautiful hatch I've ever seen wish I knew more about it.

As far as 85 GL hatches, thats what mine is, I only wish mine was in half as good of shape as yours sounds.

do we get to see some pics?

I could take a few pics and post them. Do I just post them in my profile? Or can I add them in the message area using the insert image function? What is the size limit?

It's interesting to hear people happy to buy a car with only 137,000 miles. Mine had 300,000 and it only gave me a moment's pause before I bought it because the body was good. In some places $1800 would be a lot, but you got what you wanted, and if the body is in good condition, then why worry? You couldn't buy a different car with four wheel drive to go ice fishing for anything near that, I would guess.

The body is straight with a high shine on the paint which is very nice. I beleive the car has been garaged. I was looking at the undercarage yesterday and it is in very good condition. Interior is completely clean as well. Just has seat covers on the front and the rear is flawless. Pics to follow.

Lazear has the population of 60. I go ice fishing to Vega,Blue Mesa and Crawford so far. In the summer I go to The Grand Mesa(right up the street from me on the back side) and then I go to the Gold metal waters of the Gunnison, Ridgeway, Crawford, Miramonte, Groundhog, SIlverjack and a few others.

Dont know the difference in the 2 hatches. Mine has the 1600, with I would guess the timing belt.

Are you from GJ? Yampa and Colorado huh, (greatest fisherman of all time) Thats a big statement.

what i mean is does your hatch look like this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/Literature/brochures/1985-b.jpg

if so, no timing belts. a gl should have an 1800 though, not a 1600. maybe one was swapped in? anyways they are WONDERFUL cars.

i'm from lyons, population 1600. it's on the other side of rocky mt nat park from you, near estes park. i spend a good deal of time west of the divide in the summer. i don't ice fish. i like the colorado from pumphouse (near kremmling) to silt. trout, whitefish, suckers, whatever. my absolute favorate is the lower yampa (from hayden down). never fished your neck o the woods.

There's five hatchbacks withing 15 miles of my house. Two are mine and one is another guy on the board here (ironman). The other two I've tried stopping by to see if they were for sale, but no one is ever home. One is a nice looking blue 4wd with 75k original miles on it. The other has the dual square headlamps, which I though was GL thing, but has the 1600 emblem on the rear, also 4wd.