Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripping the 91 Legacy(under dash picture) for Ea82 swap

gravelRX

Pictures of the wiring under the dash.

23Legacy_wiring_004.jpg

Just getting started.

23Legacy_wiring_010.jpg

What a mess. I take heart in knowing that most of the wires won't be used.

I've labeled everything under the hood and have been keeping track of the nonessential wiring. Got my diagrams thanks to Josh( Legacy777) and picked up a few more diagrams at the subaru dealership.

More to come.

Jay

the phrase was escaping my virus-addled brain last night but that bug is on the ropes now!

.."mammoth pile of crap" was what i was trying to construct. that sort of includes all of the other stuff that i tore out of the dash. the funnest part was the "removal" of the heater assembly... those things shatter like eggs if you take a sledgehammer and prybar to them! plastic chips were bouncing off my face too, thanks for eye pro... mighty thor's got nothing on me.

i only ended up using like 1/10th of the wire harness, i had my bro label the ecu wires and we followed each wire until it ended into something that wasnt connected or wasnt needed to make the motor run, like CC, my car doesnt have that or A/C, and you dont need the power brake unit module thingy. i actually cut out the wires i needed form the rest of the harness and numbered them for later splicing, i numbered using alphabet and numbers, worked great, i used most the the spare wire loom from the tear down for the rewrap. if you can get a hold of a tool that electricians use, it makes holes in metal boxes, the kind that hold wires in them, bigger, i used one that made like inch and 3/4 hole out of firewall, and fed prepared wire harness through it. if you got a harnes from a car with the same gen motor cool, i didnt. i used 96 impreza motor and 91 harness and ecu from manual car, had to swap the throttle bodies and engine harnesses, good thing the guy i bought the wire harness from included the engine harness too. the really cool thing is that the only accessory my car has is an alterantor, im getting the hole 130 hp baby!!!!!!! good luck and for god sakes TAKE YOUR TIME. it will pay off in the end, trust me. run "always hot" wires form ecu, theres two of them, straight to battery with fuses, run harness off of the + on your EA coil, it is a switched source, that way harness turns on when key is in run position. I ran fuel pump off the ign source something, cant remember, use a 12v test and find which wire from ignition is on when key is in ON or RUN position, so it isnt on when you have just radio on. i wired mine to toggle switch in super-secret loaction so i can turn off fuel pump if i want to. this is kinda long so ill "WRAP IT UP!!!"

~Josh~

oh i forgot to answer your other question, i routed the ecu and some of the harness behind the acordian-like thingy that connects the heater fan to heater core, most of it is in engine bay zip-tied off from hot parts, that way it isnt combersome in the footwell area and easy to access if need be.

~Josh~

Thanks for the breakdown. Working long hours in the theatre right now. I have no choice but to take my time. Although snow may be coming and I am currently occupying both bays in the garage.

RX on one side awaiting silicone I/C hoses and parts Legacy in the other.

Looks like I'll be courteous and scrape ice and warm up the Legacy for my wife in the mornings.

I'll update and ask more Q's soon. Watch for this thread to pop back up.

Thanks again for the tips.

Jay