Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I prefer the Haynes book over Chilton. I think Haynes gives more detail and Chiltons is notorious for publishing incorrect bolt torque specs. Haynes has a book that covers '90-'98 Legacy & Outback models. I have that one and it has been very helpful in doing maintenance and repairs on my '91 Legacy. It was only about $15 at amazon.com.

I second the OEM FSM for the car. Chilton's tends to be a little too generic, and Haynes seems to go into excruciating detail on dumb things ("step 574: remove the top left bolt holding the hood to the hinge by turning anti-clockwise. step 575: remove the bottom left bolt holding the hood...") and gloss over really important steps that I need some guidance with ("step 34: put the engine on a stand. step 35: overhaul engine. step 36: re-install engine").

Having both the Haynes and the Chilton's, though, can usually get you through.

In order of merit:

Factory Manual

Haynes

General Automotive Diagnostic/Repair book

Chilton

My list of order of merit:

Factory Manual

Haynes

General Automotive Diagnostic/Repair book

User Manual

Phone Book

Superman #38

Torn piece of cardboard

Chilton

If you're doing anything more than oil changes and belts, it's worth it to find an FSM for the car. They can be had on ebay for not too much $$$. You can also get FSMs on CD for like $20. I've never tried them, but it sounds kinda slick. Anybody have experience with those?

My problems with the Haynes version is recently I need to replace a Knock Sensor and it tell me to remove the intake manifold, plus drain the engine fluid to access it... I find form a picture at this site and talking to a mechanic that that is not true... I do have haynes, but plan on buying the factory one instead...

The knock sensor being screwn into a coolant passage is the only fault I have found in my well used Haynes.

They also failed to mention the spring clip that holds the clutch cable housing to the bracket near the top of the clutch pedal. There are mistakes in many service manuals. the difference between Haynes and Chiltons is one of style, nothing more. Each has good information. I use both on occasion. When I cannot find the information in either, and inspection does not provide the answer, I come in here. My advice is to look at both, and see which one you are more comfortable with.