Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Susie K engine problem/Catastophic engine failure

Many have read the Susie K post. She did what the manufacturer said to do and when they said to do it. This raises a question:

Who else has had catastrophic engine failure on a properly maintained engine?

Her car was just serviced and then BAM! Anybody else?

Any make, it happes to F1 engines and it happens to Mercedes engines and yes, even our hallowed Subaru engines. But how often?

Just curious,

Greg

My tale of woe is still on this board (from almost 3 yrs ago).

I had the head gaskets done, then 200 km later, a conrod bearing went.

And no, I do not believe there was any connection in the events, other than them happening so close to one another, timewise.

Head gaskets we all know about. Conrod bearings... pretty darn rare from what I've heard.

Commuter (97 OB)

Who else has had catastrophic engine failure on a properly maintained engine?

<rant>

Me. Our '99 outback is the only car out of the 10 cars in 400k or so miles to leave us stranded, in 5°F weather with our infant daughter in the middle of nowhere on the way to surgery no less. We bought it new and I have maintained it properly, perhaps beyond properly. People wonder why sube loyalty isn't what it once was. :rolleyes:

I doubt at this point that we will ever buy another one, the Tribeca may be competing with the Pacifica in a few years for a spot in our garage, but price won't be in it's favor.

FWIW: The wife of a good friend of mine bought a '00 OBW last year with 9k miles on it. Has 19k miles on it now and the head gaskets are toast. Dealer is giving them the Phase II sealant runaround. Absolute BS! They deserve new GD headgaskets! Makes me furious!

Regardless of how common the problem is(very common in this climate), Subaru has dropped the ball in dealing with owners of these cars. They should be ashamed of themselves.

</rant>

Headgaskets are one of the few weaknesses discussed on the 80-series Landcruiser forums. Failure can get expensive.

I'm new to Subaru's, other than a brief, painful experience with an '87. One of the first things I was told in my research was avoid the 2.5 engine. So their reputation is growing, resale may suffer. A customer of mine has an '03 OB, leaked coolant, dealer put in the magic potion. He knows it's a temporary fix, but has lots of miles on the warranty. I'd sell it if I was him, and I don't know what new Subaru I'd buy to replace it.

My Mother-in-Law's 98MY Outback had 2k on it when she drove to Youngstown OH from Delaware (about 400 miles). The night she arrived, while heading out for a short trip, the engine started rapping loudly. She drove it to a local Subaru dealer the next morning and was diagnosed with a bad bearing. They called SOA and did a "tear-down" to confirm the damage and a new create motor was shipped out. She had to head home before the install, so SOA picked-up the cost of a loaner, until she could go back for her car. The mechanic told her that when they drained the oil and open it up to examine the internals the oil, oil pan and filter were loaded with metal.

BTW-at 84k this 2.5 has been running perfectly. Lucky? Or maybe there are tighter specs on the replacement create engines? I wonder... :confused:

My Mother-in-Law's 98MY Outback had 2k on it when she drove to Youngstown OH from Delaware (about 400 miles). The night she arrived, while heading out for a short trip, the engine started rapping loudly. She drove it to a local Subaru dealer the next morning and was diagnosed with a bad bearing. They called SOA and did a "tear-down" to confirm the damage and a new create motor was shipped out. She had to head home before the install, so SOA picked-up the cost of a loaner, until she could go back for her car. The mechanic told her that when they drained the oil and open it up to examine the internals the oil, oil pan and filter were loaded with metal.

BTW-at 84k this 2.5 has been running perfectly. Lucky? Or maybe there are tighter specs on the replacement create engines? I wonder... :confused:

I think it was just bad luck on the one that died. At least I hope so. . .

• 1 year later...
Blowing a headgasket its a major deal. Its not like blowing any other gasket. Nobody knows what extensive damage occurs from a blow headgasket untill the engine is removed and completly dissasembled.... that rarely happens.

Yeah definately, if the coolent gets to your rings.. you will have one sad pile of subaru engine :-\ (if it's smoking white, fix it ASAP)

Fishums

Catastrophic failure on a sooby is usually preceded by a long overheating episode or repeated overheatings (head gasket or otherwise).

The engine oil starts to heat up, It heats up a lot slower then water does, but it also takes longer to get rid of the heat. With modern engines running hotter, an overheat will get into the threashold of where oil starts to break down. This is why i truly recomend an oil change after an over heating episode (its good insurance) What usually goes is the(pass side second cylinder) connecting rod bearing. This is the last bearing to get the oil where breakdown is critical. Heat keeps getting added to the oil untill it can be exposed to air or a water jacket. Since the oil has lost its ability to absorb shock (which is not a big thing for a main bearing) the aluminum bearing gets hammered.

I have seen this repetedly. If it gets really bad the piston can starve for oil and all sorts of loverly things happen.

Another way is with the engine digesting water (see the off road section) then you bend everything. Subarus dont swim well

nipper