Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yay, another wheel bearing question!

samo

Alright, my apologies for rehashing an age-old question, but, even though the search came up with all sorts of useful information, I still want the wisdom and approval of the Subaru Gods before I go shell out cash for new parts

I've got a loud (LOUD) humming coming from the front end of the vehicle when moving. Does not matter if it's under load or in gear, just if it's moving. Humming completely disappears going around medium left hand corners (steering wheel 45 degrees to the left and past). Axle nut is tight and the CVs, as far as I can tell, are in fine shape. The right front wheel has about 10 degrees of play in it rotationally. Me thinks I need a new bearing on that wheel, correct?

Thanks guys and girls.

yes, the bearing, and you will want to inspect it when it comes out for any evidence of excessive heat build up or excessive outer race rotation.

Heat build up is easily seen - the bearing will be a goldish tan colour to a dark blue colour (depending on how hot it got). If the bearing has partially locked up and has started turning in the knuckle too much, there will be obvioius markings in the knuckle, and it would be best to replace it (the shoulder that holds the two bearings apart wears).

Have fun.