Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon 1800 questions

I just bought my first Subaru about a week ago and need to start it's restoration...but so many places to start with no leads...I just have a few questions for you veterans of Subarus. First off, I need to replace the rear passenger wheel cylinder. How hard is this for someone with little to no auto repair experience, but who is fairly mechanically inclined? Any tips and/or instruction on how to do this? Second off, I'm planning on re-creating the subarubrat.com lift. This can be done on a GL with similar styling, right? Third: I just bought a set of 235/75/15 tires and rims (28") with a five-lug pattern. I realize I should get 5-lug hubs from the junkyard, but I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if I can do the subarubrat.com thing by redrilling my hubs for 5-lugs. On his site, he mentions that it ca be done to toyato 6-lug hubs, and still end up using 2 of the original hub's bolts. With 5-lugs, if I use one original bolt and redrill the hub for 4 more, will the wheel be centered? Any advice either pertaining to these questions or not is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, and I'll post some pictures of the restoration soon.

Having a good manual for reference though is a must in my book.

yeah...I learned that from my motorcycles...I just bid on one on ebay from Haynes...does anybody know if there are any better manual makers out there for the GL's or is this one good. Also to note: I just thought of an idea yesterday, and I was wondering if anyone knows of this being done successfully before. Making plates that will bolt onto the 4-lug hubs, with reccessed cavities for the 4 lugnuts that has a 5-lug pattern of bolts sticking out of it. This could potentially solve 2 problems: 4-5 lug conversion, AND by sticking the wheels out another 1.5 inches, it would help fitting larger tires with less fender cutting to get a decent turning radius...as long as the extra leverage doesn't break any axles...that could potentailly suck...a lot...Someone let me know if this is a viable option or if iI'm just dreaming here...Thanks

-Kyle