Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie to subis and need help building a 2000 2.5 RS

Hello, I just purchased a 2000 Impeza 2.5 RS as my new project car and it is my first subaru. I just sold my project jeep to try something new. I know a great deal about offroad buildups and almost nothing about imports so I will probably be asking a lot of questions. Here is what I have to start:

1. What is the engine identification for my 2.5L? EJ??? and pros/cons?

2. Does anyone recommend a turbo kit for this car? I've looked at AVO and some Garrett based ones with the T25 and T28 turbos.

3. The car came with an aftermarket magnaflow exhaust which the previous owner had completely welded from header to tail pipe will this be a big deal when and if I do a turbo install? I can do any welding or metal work if need be.

4. Besides going to AutoZone and having the codes checked, (Evap Sensor)how do I turn off the Check Engine light myself? (Disconnecting the battery did not work.)

5. Is it better to go with an under the hood mounted intercooler or a front mounted one?

6. What is the max boost I should go with? I was thinking no more than 6 psi to be safe.

Thanks a lot for any help that you can provide!

Tim

The RS is very proven under boost, I had a 99 I ran fro 150k miles at about 300Hp. With a turbo it isn't even the same car!

For a good overall makeover starting point I would suggest:

STI V5 struts and springs

22mm sway bar

12Lb flywheel

STI motor and tranny mounts

And as for the turbo, teh kits are all about the same, definatly go with an intercooler and if you want a nice safe kit pick about 7 PSI, that will get you string pull and the boost itself will be negligable when it comes to reliability. The key here is tuning tuning tuning. Don't get cheap on engine management. The "system" below will be good for all the way up to 12 PSI or so. And resist the urge to over-turbo, using too large of a turbo, the biggest turbo does not win. An EJ25 with a VF10 (legacy turbo) will feel almost like a larger naturally aspirated engine due to it's instant spooling.

Apexi SAFC for fuel curve control

J&S safeguard for ignition control and knock control

330cc RC injectors

255LPH fuel pump

Boost and EGT gauges