Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Y pipe welding?

Sweet82

Wondering if anyone has had any experience welding or modifying the Y pipe.

I'm looking to angle my pipe upward a bit to give it more clearance off the ground as the exhaust continues rearward. I'm using the "stock" Y pipe AND exhaust system off my Hatch, in the buggy. In the Hatch the exhaust was no lower than the body and not an issue.

Now it's in the buggy it's the lowest point in the center of the buggy. If I could angle it up, I could run the exhaust system to the tale pipe much higher and have more "high center" clearance.

Has anyone modified or welded the Y pipe? Is it good metal or will it nuke if I fool with it?

I had in mind a thin cut at the end of the Y pipe, bending the cut closed and then closing the cut with a quick weld. Maybe several times... The end result is changing the angle of the end upward.

Good Idea :D: ?

Bad Idea :mad: ?

Thanks,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--wants more center ground clearance :headbang:

01 Forester--also wants more clearance....

***Changing the angle after the Y pipe is pointless because it's so far to the rear, I wouldn't be gaining anything in the center of the vehicle.

I've done several exhuast systems now with Archemitis. Most to my design and he welded them up. A few to his design/welding for his engines. Overall I'm pretty happy with the stock Y pipe... when you can find one! :eek: However a stock one isnt what you want...

The custom Y pipe I did on my EA82 was tucked up right against the unibody/crossmembers. What I did was cut off the headers so I had basicly a flange -> 90 degree bend -> few inches of straight pipe. Then I removed everything from the catalytic converter so it was just a 'turtle shell'; boy are they tough buggers and I bet you could jack the whole vehicle up by one! Since it was out and easy access I gutted the inards. Then I bought some of those pre-bent 25 degree angles that slipped over the headers. With those bends you can pivot the pipe on the header so the bends kinda point up; that will subsequently tuck your cat now up higher. Then just weld on whatever you want for the mid pipe back to your muffler.

I hope this makes sense; kinda hard to describe. If you need I could whip up some drawings and scan them in.

Peas

How about using a EA81T or EA82T crossover pipe like Qman did? No more pipe hanging down under the engine that way. I believe Ken used a turbo crossmember but you could also cut and/or bend it to give clearance. Just an idea...

I always wanted to just shoot a straight pipe right out the hood from the turbo manifold :brow: Throw on a tractor muffler and flip-top!

Not street legal however :(

my exhaust guy said that it would be much easier to just make a custom dual,x-style pipe to actually dual it out with and run the pipes next to the frame and out the sides.he said it would be cheaper too.just a thought....

I'm looking at doing dual side-dumps with a crossover, but I'm worried about smashing them...

but, back on topic here, my friend who's doing the welding job on it, is using the stock flanges and whatnot, off of the old system, and using a gutted, stock cat as the "Y" he seems to think it's solid

I'm looking at doing dual side-dumps with a crossover, but I'm worried about smashing them...

but, back on topic here, my friend who's doing the welding job on it, is using the stock flanges and whatnot, off of the old system, and using a gutted, stock cat as the "Y" he seems to think it's solid

so long as your pipe isn't rusted and too thin it will weld fine, if it was me doing it i'd tack it with the mig then drop it out and gas weld it as the gas weld also aneals it so its less likely to crack later on.

you can cut the exhaust off right behind the cat. then you have a good place to weld to. the pipe coming off of the rear of the cat(just like the other pipes) is heat shielded. try to weld the shield, and it burns through pretty fast.

chux, any x over under there will be asking for trouble offroad. its hard enough tuckin one big pipe under there.

stock y pipe, with a 2 inch pipe, back to a thrush glasspack, or supertrapp, right before the rear axle.

ps, make sure you cut those cats!