Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 Headgasket and other ????

I'm new here and don't want to beat a dead horse but...

I just bought a 1997 GT sedan with the infamouse engine of course. I knew of the potential issues with headgaskets but with 140K this car has received every scheduled maintenance at the dealer. (including preventative, ie-water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses, engine seals, etc.) And the price was very resonable. The only repairs this car has recieved includes:

Alternator under warrenty. 90K

First set of brakes at 120k

Complete clutch including master and slave cylender at 120K

Hydrlic clutch hose at 140K

Thats it!

And... no HG issues. So... what's the consensus?

Can the HG go at any time?

Do they tend to fail sooner than later?

We've all heard of the premature 2.5 headgasket issues...

Anyone over 140K and still going?

I'm also a vanagon owner and the HG are an issue them ONLY if you use the wrong coolant and/or don't change it frequently enough.

Will 2 year flushes regardless regarless of mileage help prevent HG leaks?

I know I've asked a bunch but any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!!

I'm new here and don't want to beat a dead horse but...

I just bought a 1997 GT sedan with the infamouse engine of course. I knew of the potential issues with headgaskets but with 140K this car has received every scheduled maintenance at the dealer. (including preventative, ie-water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses, engine seals, etc.) And the price was very resonable. The only repairs this car has recieved includes:

And... no HG issues. So... what's the consensus?

Can the HG go at any time?

Do they tend to fail sooner than later?

We've all heard of the premature 2.5 headgasket issues...

Anyone over 140K and still going?

I'm also a vanagon owner and the HG are an issue them ONLY if you use the wrong coolant and/or don't change it frequently enough.

Will 2 year flushes regardless regarless of mileage help prevent HG leaks?

I know I've asked a bunch but any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!!

I have a 99 OBW (now with 71K) & decided that alot of the HG issues are arising from inefficient draining & refilling of coolant. That is, the poor design of the cooling system tends to trap air & therefore overheats & causes the HG to fail.... Having accepted that as my "higher power" ;) I bought a 96 OBW (148K & the early early 2.5) with no HG replacements done.

I have talked to MANY folks with this engine most with 135K & up with NO HG problems. One lady has never changed her coolant for fear of doing something bad... others have had the work done by shops (perhaps aware of the burping necessary to release that evil trapped air bubble). Whatever....

Headgaskets go some don't... some transmissions are designed for failure others aren't....

All I can say is... this is the nicest looking Subaru since the '83 & I like my pair of OBW's.

Later,

Peter