Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hard starting, rough idle until warm, runs great after it warms up.

No CEL, so I don't have much more than that. I made the mistake of buying gas at a station that was still using MTBE (the price was 10 cents a gallon below everyone else) and the car ran like . . . . well you get the idea. I quickly switched back to a better brand of gas, but I suspect that there is some degree of buildup in the top end. I'm thinking Seafoam for that, or is there something else that I should try? The engine takes a long time to fire up when cold, and acts like a cylinder is misfiring until the engine warms up, then things smooth out. Could this also be a temp sensor somewhere?

Could be either the MAP sensor or the Coolant temp sensor.

By the MAP sensor, do you mean the MAF that is near the air filter? Does the coolant temp sensor also control the temp guage? That works normally. Hey Josh, could you post some pics of where these sensors are? Thanks.

By the MAP sensor, do you mean the MAF that is near the air filter? Does the coolant temp sensor also control the temp guage? That works normally. Hey Josh, could you post some pics of where these sensors are? Thanks.

Yes I do mean the MAF, my bad. And I do not believe the the coolant temp sensor drives the guage. When it went out on my '92 it had the same symptoms as you describe but the guage worked fine. One difference is that when it happened to me it threw an occassional CEL

Yes I do mean the MAF, my bad. And I do not believe the the coolant temp sensor drives the guage. When it went out on my '92 it had the same symptoms as you describe but the guage worked fine. One difference is that when it happened to me it threw an occassional CEL

Sounds like it may be on the way out as this is as yet an intermitant problem. This woud mean that it is not bad enough to throw a CEL (is that something like a fit?) yet, but getting there. Which part was bad on your '92 when you had the same symptoms? I imagine that the MAF is a lot more expensive than the coolant temp sensor. . .

Also, what kind of milage are you getting on your '92 these days? I'm getting between 19 and 24MPG with moderately aggressive driving. . .