Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hard starting, rough idle until warm, runs great after it warms up.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:27 AM

No CEL, so I don't have much more than that. I made the mistake of buying gas at a station that was still using MTBE (the price was 10 cents a gallon below everyone else) and the car ran like . . . . well you get the idea. I quickly switched back to a better brand of gas, but I suspect that there is some degree of buildup in the top end. I'm thinking Seafoam for that, or is there something else that I should try? The engine takes a long time to fire up when cold, and acts like a cylinder is misfiring until the engine warms up, then things smooth out. Could this also be a temp sensor somewhere?

#2 FlyFlicker

FlyFlicker

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Wheat Ridge

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

Could be either the MAP sensor or the Coolant temp sensor.

#3 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:49 PM

Could be either the MAP sensor or the Coolant temp sensor.

By the MAP sensor, do you mean the MAF that is near the air filter? Does the coolant temp sensor also control the temp guage? That works normally. Hey Josh, could you post some pics of where these sensors are? Thanks.

#4 FlyFlicker

FlyFlicker

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Wheat Ridge

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:22 PM

By the MAP sensor, do you mean the MAF that is near the air filter? Does the coolant temp sensor also control the temp guage? That works normally. Hey Josh, could you post some pics of where these sensors are? Thanks.

Yes I do mean the MAF, my bad. And I do not believe the the coolant temp sensor drives the guage. When it went out on my '92 it had the same symptoms as you describe but the guage worked fine. One difference is that when it happened to me it threw an occassional CEL

#5 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:38 PM

Yes I do mean the MAF, my bad. And I do not believe the the coolant temp sensor drives the guage. When it went out on my '92 it had the same symptoms as you describe but the guage worked fine. One difference is that when it happened to me it threw an occassional CEL

Sounds like it may be on the way out as this is as yet an intermitant problem. This woud mean that it is not bad enough to throw a CEL (is that something like a fit?) yet, but getting there. Which part was bad on your '92 when you had the same symptoms? I imagine that the MAF is a lot more expensive than the coolant temp sensor. . .

Also, what kind of milage are you getting on your '92 these days? I'm getting between 19 and 24MPG with moderately aggressive driving. . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users