Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couldnt find anything useful in the searches I did so can anyone tell me if a bad steering boot would make similar noises to a clicking halfshaft (er...cv axle)? I noticed the clicking isnt consistant and I finally went under my car to get a good look at the boot that was covered in oil, just noticed it wasnt a cv boot like I initally thought (tho the placement should have given it away, I was looking for something else so I didnt even think about it) Seems like it clicks when it wants to when Im turning. Considering my bf's steering snapped last summer (smashed his car on the freeway, he was lucky to walk away from that, not well but he did walk from it) I do want to get this fixed esp if it poses a problem like that. Also curious, assuming the bearing on that side is almost shot would that cause a grinding type noise? I havent looked at it throughly yet, tho I did take pics of it so I can look at it from angles I cant see w/o jacking the car up, just havent checked all of the out.

Thinking with all the things I keep finding wrong with this car while fixing something else its time to pick up a manual for it, too bad the napa I go to for my parts (I have friends who work there, I get some discounts) seems to rarely have one there.