Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question for you all........

Hi.....new here, but have a dilemma and am hoping for some input from you all.

I have a 1996 Subaru Legacy with 114,000 miles. I bought her used (she and I have been thru a lot of miles together) and it's gotten to the point where I feel it's time to trade her in ($2,500 according to blue book) and get another car.

The car is paid off and I hate like heck to take on another monthly car payment. Lately, though, it's been one thing after another mechanically and I'm scared of breaking down again. Two weeks ago, a valve went and it shut down all the power....no steering....no brakes....yikes!!

I'm a widow...and work full time, and need a dependable vehicle(don't we all?)

Bottom line....do I continue to deal with the problems and hope to get another year or so of mileage (is that realistic?) or trade the old gal in now. I did have a new timing belt installed 2 years ago.....have regular oil changes, etc., etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have some big decisions to make!!!

Thanks so much,

Linda

I know what it means to have to have reliable transportation. It's a hands down, "keep it" decision for the guys/gals here... they can fix anything and wouldn't bat an eye about keeping it... the car is very young. It's a much tougher decision to make for someone that doesn't do the work themselves though.

I would say keep it, but I know repairs are very expensive when you need to go to a garage, on the other hand, if you figure the cost of an occasional repair over a definite $300.-$400. monthly payment for a new one, could help you decide easier. If you're unsure of the overall condition, maybe one of the guys/gals here is close to you and can go "survey" the car for you. Good luck!

114,000 is actually low for a subaru,mine has 142,000 an runs strong.now granted every car has problems when they get older but with regular maintence an such,subies can go for a long time.seen one the other day with over 200,000 on the odometer an she ran just fine. awhile back i was going through the same as you are and i decided to go with another car loan and now i'm regreating it.

hope i was of some help(if any)

I don't know Linda, that's a tough one. I too hate making car payments but Sub's can go for a lot of miles. My '92 has 157,000 on it and I plan to use it as my commuter for several more years. But then I'm fairly handy with a wrench AND I have three Jeeps that I can use if I have to fix the sube. Now you have indicated that you are a widow, do you have kids? How often do you break down where you are without transportation for a day or more? Ask yourself the question "Is it going to cost me more to buy a new car or keep this one running?" and include your time in that, after all, a few hours at the mechanics is time you've lost doing something else. But also consider the types of probs you're having. Does it break down or does it have problems that allow you to still drive it without compromising safety? Also consider that a woman needs reliable transportation because you don't need to be stuck on the side of the road at night, or any time for that matter. So given that I would suggest that you visit your mechanic and ask how much is it going to cost to make sure that your car is reliable? And ask them if they think that you can realistically get a few more years out of the car. Given that you say you do routine maint. I would tend to think that you could. Then weigh that against your finances. And I'll go back to my principle concern - and that is making sure that you don't find yourself in a jeopardized position.

Like I said, it's a tough choice and neither I nor any one here can make it for you. But the bottom line is in weighing the costs of keeping it vs. the cost of getting another car. And when you consider this don't just think about the actual cost but also add in the costs of your time and the potential risk to you and your family should you be stranded.

Linda, I can only speak for myself and I have the advantage of doing my own work (mostly minor stuff) and having two outstanding independent Subaru shops within a 30 minute drive as well as some very competent wrenches to help me out when needed. That being said, I have a '91 Legacy wagon which I bought with 98K on it and I now have 140K on it and plan on keeping it to 300K or more. I just bought a '97 Impreza for my wife with 113K (the car, not the wife:lol: ) and plan on keeping it for as long as we can. The 2.2L engine in my cars (and yours) is among the most reliable and long lasting engines out there. Surprising for a valve to drop into the engine; are you sure it wasn't a broken timing belt? That would stop the engine instantly also and is not an unusual problem since the belt is normally changed at regular intervals. Considering the cost of a new car you can go with a lot of repairs before the new car is an advantage. My considered opinion is find a quality mechanic that you can trust and you should get lots of good service out of your car.

My 93 has almost 202k on it. It is running like a champ. I have a work van (from my employer) and it breaks down frequently, so I have to drive my 93 a lot, but I wouldn't hesitate making it a daily commuter, even with all the miles already on it.

I would do as someone mentioned before me, get to know a reliable mechanic, have it gone over compeltely, and with regular maintenence from the same mechanic, should get you as many miles as my 93 has and more...

If you decide to keep it and in a couple of years, you decide to sell it, look me up, my 93 may be ready to be retired... Not really ready to get another just yet...

Wow......thanks! I appreciate all of your responses!!!

First, I suppose the breakdown several weeks ago "spooked" me. I live in Pittsburgh and we have to go up and down hills to get anywhere. Thank goodness I was going up hill......I don't know how I'd have stopped the car going downhill. I know......pull the emergency brake. But, while it's happening, I'm sure I'd have panicked and done everything wrong! I was in rush hour traffic, so I suppose I could've had a horrible accident! As it was, it took everything for me to turn the wheel to get onto a side street and I used both feet on the brake to get it to stop!!

The Legacy is my only form of transportation....I have no "back-up." Unfortunately, I don't have a "regular" mechanic, who knows the car inside and out. I have had work done at several facilities, including a dealer. I suppose I can get to the closest Subaru dealer and have them go over EVERYTHING thoroughly for some peace of mind. I would love to think I could get another year or two out of the old gal!!

As it is, I feel like a fool every time I do go to a mechanic.....I'm so vulnerable (here comes the dummie lady) they could tell me anything was wrong and I'd get it fixed. My problem is that I just assume everyone is trustworthy and I have been "taken" several times!!\

The last problem (I went and looked) was a valve and back pressure? Someone here mentioned that it seemed odd that a valve would shut everything down. I did have a new timing belt installed, so that wasn't it.

Gee.....I am so grateful to have found you all! I've pretty much made up my mind to hang on to the car for now....so, I'm sure, I'll be back with other questions and guidance!!!

Thanks so much,

Linda

OK Linda, since it seems you've decided to take up with this lot here, the next thing you want to do is start a thread and ask if anyone knows of a good independent Subaru mechanic in the Pittsburg area. I think you've made a wise decision to hold on to the car. Good luck.

Agree. Oh, one other question Linda, since the repairs were made... do you trust this car? If there is any doubt, please don't feel obligated drive a car you don't trust... and don't count cost in this equation.

There is NO price for peace of mind. As you can see in my signature, I traded my 6 month old Hyundai because I just didn't trust it... regardless of the 10 year, 10,000 mi. warranty... it just didn't perform when I asked it to, and I felt endangered by it. The Baja is a dream to drive :)

Wow......thanks! I appreciate all of your responses!!!

The Legacy is my only form of transportation....I have no "back-up." Unfortunately, I don't have a "regular" mechanic, who knows the car inside and out. I have had work done at several facilities, including a dealer. I suppose I can get to the closest Subaru dealer and have them go over EVERYTHING thoroughly for some peace of mind. I would love to think I could get another year or two out of the old gal!!

As it is, I feel like a fool every time I do go to a mechanic.....I'm so vulnerable (here comes the dummie lady) they could tell me anything was wrong and I'd get it fixed. My problem is that I just assume everyone is trustworthy and I have been "taken" several times!!\

Thanks so much,

Linda

When you see people driving the same vehicle as yours (or any Subaru for that matter) ask them where they get their work done... do they like & TRUST their mechanic??

Maybe you need to "interview" one or two (bring them some homemade cookies?)... Honesty is better than "bedside manner"... experience more important than a white smock... You get the idea. This can end the fear of the unknown...

Subarus, as you have read, can run for quite some time... Dishonest mechanics can make small problems appear large & expensive. Like my daughter's brake replacement instead of the tightening of the lug nuts by the previous genius.

Later,

Peter

Agree. Oh, one other question Linda, since the repairs were made... do you trust this car? If there is any doubt, please don't feel obligated drive a car you don't trust... and don't count cost in this equation.

There is NO price for peace of mind. As you can see in my signature, I traded my 6 month old Hyundai because I just didn't trust it... regardless of the 10 year, 10,000 mi. warranty... it just didn't perform when I asked it to, and I felt endangered by it. The Baja is a dream to drive :)

Brus.......

I don't feel as confident driving the car but, then again, it could be me....not the car. You're so right about peace of mind, so I think I'll take the advice given and start a new thread in search of a good Subaru mechanic in the Pittsburgh area!!!

Thanks!!!

Linda

Agreed. Stick with your present car. Unless it's a complete rust-bucket.

Your valve failure sounds like some details were left out. If the engine shuts off, there is still residual vacuum in the brake booster to make an stop easy.

Anyway, don't worry too much about being a woman and therefore tricked by mechanics. Men get conned all the time too. Men just don't like admitting that they don't know anything about cars!

When you see people driving the same vehicle as yours (or any Subaru for that matter) ask them where they get their work done... do they like & TRUST their mechanic??

Maybe you need to "interview" one or two (bring them some homemade cookies?)... Honesty is better than "bedside manner"... experience more important than a white smock... You get the idea. This can end the fear of the unknown...

Subarus, as you have read, can run for quite some time... Dishonest mechanics can make small problems appear large & expensive. Like my daughter's brake replacement instead of the tightening of the lug nuts by the previous genius.

Later,

Peter

Peter.....

I have been looking for a regular, "honest" mechanic ever since I bought the car 6 years ago. Had a co-worker who had the same car (Subaru Outback....same year, too) and he sent me to his guy. I was charged $800 for what I was told (and thought) would be a $250-$300 job. My side power window was broke and he ended up sending it to a body shop to be fixed. I suppose these things are expensive to fix, but I thought that was awfully high!

So, since then, I've gone to several different places based on friend's recommendations...including a dealer several times.....and always have the feeling that I've been snookered when I walk out of the place.

Sigh.........

Linda

Peter.....

I have been looking for a regular, "honest" mechanic ever since I bought the car 6 years ago. Had a co-worker who had the same car (Subaru Outback....same year, too) and he sent me to his guy. I was charged $800 for what I was told (and thought) would be a $250-$300 job. My side power window was broke and he ended up sending it to a body shop to be fixed. I suppose these things are expensive to fix, but I thought that was awfully high!

So, since then, I've gone to several different places based on friend's recommendations...including a dealer several times.....and always have the feeling that I've been snookered when I walk out of the place.

Sigh.........

Linda

$800. bucks/ what was the exact prob,did they say.it does seem very high.

$800. bucks/ what was the exact prob,did they say.it does seem very high.

Subie94......

All I know is that the power window on my side was broke. I know they have to take apart the door to fix such things. Car ended up at a body shop. The mechanic never called me to tell me that. I found out when I called to enquire about the status......

The door wasn't wrecked....no accident involved.

Linda

Linda,

I agree with everyone, keep it, I have put plenty of miles on all my Subies, when I went to sell my 93 Legacy Wagon with 200K on it I had 3 guys standing in line to buy it, I bought my 98 legacy with 75K and it was like buying a brand new car, if you live to the far east of Pittsburgh I can reccomend a good independant mechanic.

Quailman

Linda,

I agree with everyone, keep it, I have put plenty of miles on all my Subies, when I went to sell my 93 Legacy Wagon with 200K on it I had 3 guys standing in line to buy it, I bought my 98 legacy with 75K and it was like buying a brand new car, if you live to the far east of Pittsburgh I can reccomend a good independant mechanic.

Quailman

Quailman.....

HOW far east?

Linda

Peter.....

Sigh.........

Linda

I suppose that this honest mechanic made a few bucks for being the "middle man" as well...

1. don't be afraid to ask other Subaru Drivers where they get their work done.. most people like to tell the good the bad & the rip offs.

You might also call: Click & Clack, the Tappet Bros. on PBS for a referal.

2. WARNING! WARNING! NON-P.C.:next time have a male friend take the car in.

YOU MAY BE AMAZED that this bullsh*t still happens ALL the time.

3. Any local High Schools that teach Auto Shop??? talk to the teacher.

--------------------------------------------------

In any event... eventually you will either:

A. find a good mechanic

2. get a job that pays so well (or win the lottery) that you won't even care when you get ripped off

III. learn to repair your own vehicle... IN FACT a class at a local C.C. may be in order... at least you'd know enough to perhaps diagnose the alleged problem or see the rip off coming.

GOOD LUCK.

Later,

Peter

Linda,

Glad to see you're still in the game.

If you click on Quailman's name in his post, you will have the option of sending him a Private Message (PM) or an e-mail. Sometimes we don't all stop by here regularly and you'll be able to more quickly determine if his notion of East of Pittsburgh is Belgium. Good luck.