Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny swap, wont start now

Well I have just singlehandedly stuck a 5sp DR MTin place of the shot in the arse AT in my 85 wagon. Should have had help, as I havn't wrenched liked that for close to 30 years, and I don't quite know what I'm doing.

New battery wont get juice to starter. Why?

Also there seems to be a small short. With every thing turned off, there is a bit of spar (tiny) when I touch the cable to the terminal.

But about the no juice to starter thing, What am I missing? I'm thinking since the car was wired for an AT, that there is some kind of setup to keep it from starting in any mode but Park. Now with the MT in, is there some magic wireing to be done?

Shoot, I'm so close I can taste it.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks Pyro

does the clutch need to be pushed in to start the transmission? all manual XT6's (4 of them) i've ever owned don't need the clutch pushed in to start. i just picked up another that must have the clutch pressed in to start?

the inhibitor switch prevents the auto from starting in the wrong gear, but that's located on the transmission itself so that shouldn't be the issue.

did you disconnect the TCU?

double check the starter connections.

are the starters the same for the auto and manual? for the XT6 manual and 4EAT auto's the starters are different. that shouldn't prevent it from turning over or getting juice though.

the starter isn't getting any juice at all? is the distribotor plugged in properly? i've disconnected that before and had no start problems after major engine/trans work.

unless i'm not understanding the cable issue, it should spark when you touch it to the battery terminal. unless every car i've owned had issues, mine have always done that.

Find the plug that was plugged into the old shifter. Cut the two fat wires in the middle of the plug (black&yellow and black&white I think) and splice them together. This fools the computer into thinking the car is in Park, and allows it to start.

The small spark is normal. If you had a short large enough to make a spark at the terminal, it'd be a HUGE spark, along with blowing fuses and the like.

Find the plug that was plugged into the old shifter. Cut the two fat wires in the middle of the plug (black&yellow and black&white I think) and splice them together. This fools the computer into thinking the car is in Park, and allows it to start.

The small spark is normal. If you had a short large enough to make a spark at the terminal, it'd be a HUGE spark, along with blowing fuses and the like.

Well I can't thank you enough for that tip, I wouldn't have found it in a million years. It worked.

One thing that puzzels me is that my parts car, (runs barely, 86 GL wagon, 5 sp man, DR), was originally a Auto, but was swapped out to Manual before I aquired it. I have been using it as reference for the swap on the 85 auto. I checked the plugs at the auto shifter, and there is no spicing, so I'm wondering how they got it running? There must be another method.

But the 85 is ALIVE!! ALIVE I SAY!

Thanks again,

Pyro

One thing that puzzels me is that my parts car, (runs barely, 86 GL wagon, 5 sp man, DR), was originally a Auto, but was swapped out to Manual before I aquired it. I have been using it as reference for the swap on the 85 auto. I checked the plugs at the auto shifter, and there is no spicing, so I'm wondering how they got it running? There must be another method.

Yes, you can splice it a zillion places, and then if the tranny had a neutral start switch on it, you could use that to control the inhibitor.

So do I just leave those two wires spliced together or what?

Theres some wires coming off the manual trans, but I have no idea where they would go. I tried to use the already swaped rig as a pattern, but the color coding doesn't match up and theres 5 coming out of the harness on the 85, 4 on the 86. And like I said, the color coding is different.

What about a toggle switch where I spliced?