Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1991 Legacy LS AWD Connecticut overheats

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fgug

fgug

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Colebrook

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

I have a 1991 legay AWD .. I bought it in Milford Ct, drove it 70 miles home in heavy traffi.. 70mph for a good part of the way.. next day, the car starts to overheat.. I get it to a dealer.. new thermostat, and coolant, same problem.. it can drive all day , no high heat, and then out of nowhere, it spikes... It has not blown out of the radiator, but has blown into the overflow.. I posted it for sale, but maybe, after reading some great posts, I should look into what you all here may think..any help would be great. thanks, Gug

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,652 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 27 February 2005 - 06:14 PM

I'd burp the cooling system. there is a little burp screw that needs to be opened on the top passenger side of the radiator. If you don't do this, you can get very weird issues. I'd start there, and see what happens.

#3 boris1

boris1

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Bethlehem

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:38 AM

I am having the same problem on my 97 Legacy 2.5GT. After owning it for a year and having no problems, I melter away the plastic tank of my radiator when it overheated 300 miles into a 500 mile trip.

Replaced radiator with a copper/brass from performance radiator (don't recommend). But the mechanic didn't change the thermostat. When I picked it up, i started it up and after 10 minutes idling opened the radiator cap to have some antifreeze spill out.

On the drive back, it started overheating after a 10 minute idling stop at a gas station. Did it again when I stopped to go to the bathroom and shut it off. When i drive, it's fine, and the fans work.

So I hope it's either the thermostat or I need to bleed it? But i remember opening up the radiator cap before and never bleeding it and it was fine up to now.

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:48 AM

Both display symptoms consistent with a small internal headgasket leak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users