Ultimate Subaru Message Board

introduction and questions

Hi, my name is pete, i'm looking into getting a new sti, or lancer evo, i'm really into the sti..more so than the lancer, but aftermarket for the sti seems small compared to the lancers, at any rate i think the sti is far more liveable than the high strung evo, thats why i want to do as much homework on the sti as possible before i commit to plunking down serious cash for one, i currently have 2 bmw's, an e30(1989) M3, and a '89 735 iL, both have over 150k on them, so what i'd like to fing out is, how long have you had your sti's, any problems? any issues? any upgrades, if so what..... how liveable are they for year round daily driver duties? any help would be appreciated, and if anyone has any bmw questions ...ask away.

Thanks!

Pete

i want a new car, i can afford bmw's because i work on them myself,(

dealer labor rate is 100+ an hour) they're not terribly difficult to fix and parts are resonable, if you know where to look. the M3 is what i'm looking to retire, at this point it's become more race car than street car, and for as rare as it is i'd like to keep it nice and enjoy it on weekends, the M3 i paid 13k for in 1999, it had 62k on the odo, the 735 i bought this year from a friend of mine who had to many cars, i paid $1500 for it, and put about 300 into it to make it mechanicly perfect, i want a new car and preferably an sti because i want the all wheel drive, 6 speed, 300hp...damn it, i want a rally car!!!!! i want a car i dont want to worry about, hop in and drive it, enjoy it.....

I couldnt give a definitive answer on that considering I've only movied one at the subaru/ford dealer I work at. But if Subaru came through with this car like they did virtually every other, I would say yes, and I'd take one in a heartbeat if I had acess to the keys.

If you leave the Sube in standard tune it will last a long time. The simple rules for any car apply: Don't thrash it until its warmed up, monitor oil and coolant weekly to avoid surprise failures, don't let other people drive it :-)

Leave turbo, intercooler, and boost level where they are. Limit yourself to a simple induction kit, and maybe a straight through silencer and the Sube will provide years of reliable motoring.