Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All,

I am knew to this site. You probably get sick of people asking about purchasing certain vehicles, but Ive never owned a Subaru and am considering getting one for the wife.

98 Outback w/ 2.5L motor. Has about 112,000 miles salesman told me. He did tell me up front that the motor is a little noisy at start up. Said something about the stroke being longer for that year engine. Said thats what causes the motor to be a little loud at start up. Really liked the salesman. Wasnt real pushy. His wife is driving the car now. I havent even seen the car. Is he feeding me a line about the reason for the motor. Told me to go to the Subaru dealer and ask him and that they would confirm what he is saying.

Anything that I should look at in particular when I look at the vehicle or ask?

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long post!!

PS..He's asking $5000

Hi All,

I am knew to this site. You probably get sick of people asking about purchasing certain vehicles, but Ive never owned a Subaru and am considering getting one for the wife.

98 Outback w/ 2.5L motor. Has about 112,000 miles salesman told me. He did tell me up front that the motor is a little noisy at start up. Said something about the stroke being longer for that year engine. Said thats what causes the motor to be a little loud at start up. Really liked the salesman. Wasnt real pushy. His wife is driving the car now. I havent even seen the car. Is he feeding me a line about the reason for the motor. Told me to go to the Subaru dealer and ask him and that they would confirm what he is saying.

PS..He's asking $5000

He's making excuses. the 2.5 engine has what's known as "piston slap" & SHOULD decrease if not totally disappear within (5) minutes. it's the design of the pistons NOTHING to do with a "longer stroke for that year". It is nothing but annoying.

This vehicle should have had the timing belt replaced within the last 10k miles OR ELSE big timing-belt-breakage-interference-troubles...

there is a history of Headgasket dilemmas... the current theory is that this comes from poorly drained & refilled cooling system (trickier than normal but not a tough job) or the other theory is at 140k +/- they will just blow.

Having said that... I have 2 2.5 engines... a 96 with 147k & a 99 with 72k...

they are great vehicles if properly mantained...

this salesperson is making excuses for what he doesn't know.

so: document the timing belt change & request an independent prepurchase inspection.

Later,

Peter

I have a 98 2.5L Outback 68K. It has been making the piston noise when the engine is cold. It's over within a couple minutes. I'm watching out for head gasket problems. So far so good though (knock on wood). I would reccomend the manual transmission just because of the gas mileage gain. I get 23 mpg around town with the auto. I've seen 29 on the highway, but 25/26 is more realistic. One would think a 2.5L should be able to do better. That's my only gripe. The ride and awd are great.

Like you, my wife is the one that drives it. I drive my old 1990 Legacy sedan. I love that one even more (178K).

Check Carefully the color and level of the coolant in the coolant reservoir. If the coolant has any blackness to it or the level is high in the reservoir, suspect head gasket problems. Another sign is air bubbles coming up through the reservoir after the car is turned off. These HG problems can be kind of under the radar, as combustion gasses slowly accumulate in the coolant. The car may overheat only rarely.

Barring bad HGs, these are terrific cars. There is a real feeling of safety putting a family member in a Subaru out here in snow country.

Tom

Hold on! If you are interested, I am selling my 98 Outback you may be interested. It is in EXCELLENT condition. 129K miles, white, NEW head gaskets, new clutch, water pump, radiator, leather interior, 5sp. I want 4200 for it. I am in NW new Jersey, I see you are only in PA. Email if interested.

rjpjnk@earthlink.net

Rich

Hi All,

PS..He's asking $5000

Hi All,

PS..He's asking $5000

98 outback had piston slap and was a year that was bad for them also 99 is a better year to buy one 97 's also problem year started piston slap and headgasket issues i work at a dealership i've seen this