Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My baby is gone, but I'm alive to tell about it.....

I’m sure some of you remember me writing a few weeks back asking a million questions about the different Subaru models and which were best. Well I found the Subaru with ‘my name on it’ three weeks ago. It was a manual, 97 impreza outback sport in beautiful condition…even my favourite color, green! Well tonight the features of my car that I never wanted to have to test out were used. I was in a head on collision when a guy lost control of his vehicle on icy snow covered roads and hit me. My new baby was a complete write off….but I walked away from the accident with only a badly brused knee and a strained wrist. I can’t believe I’m alive to tell you all about it. I’m going to go get pictures tomorrow from the impound yard and will post one here later on. I really have to applaud Subaru for making such a sturdy little car with all the safety features they have…they saved my life tonight.

*Sniff* so my new baby is gone, but I’m around to search for a new one.

Cheers to everyone, and remember, wear your seatbelt!

Urban Coyote

Thanks guys & gals for all the well wishes. I know what you mean about there being a number of threads like this lately. I read about maximumBRAT and her accident last week....I really felt for her. Who would guess I would be in a similar situation a few short days later? It's a terrible experience, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. What made it worse was I saw it comming...we were too close for me to do anything about it though. I was approaching a sharp turn in the road and all I saw was this car come zipping around the corner toward me. The roads were covered with packed snow that had become ice and I knew there was no way at that speed that that guy was going to stay in control...there was just no way. I saw him loose control, spin sideways, and the next thing I realize I'm off the road with an airbag in my face....gotta love those things.

Hmmmm....not quite sure what hit me to be exact, it was a midsize type sedan...looked kind of cavelierish. I'll look when I go to the impound yard later today.

Urban Coyote

Urban,

I was a volunteer on the local Ambulance, I couldn't tell you how many folks weren't as lucky as you, even those driving more substantial vehicles (SUV's, Pickups, etc) Glad to hear that you're that you're still with us...

Will you be buying another Subaru ???

Ain't that the truth!! I was involved in a 55mph head-on crash back in June. I was driving a company owned Chevy van when a Ford pick-up truck turned directly into my path. Both vehicles were toast and both of us lived, but 2 surgeries were needed. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was driving a car at the time of the accident. At least our bumpers were at the same height level.

Wear your seatbelt and sit as far back from the airbag as possible.

glad to hear that you were able to walk away from what sounded like would have been very VERY!!! BAD,forgot who said it earlier but cars are replaceable,we as human beings aren't.

guy i knew fell asleep in his 97? legacy at like 45/50 an hit a tree head on,granted he had to be put on strecher but injuries were very minor.car of course was totaled.hit hard enough that it buckled the roof just up to the front doors but back door fine.

just remember one thing-your babys safty features saved your life an you may find her twin or recarnation.:)

Uhg, well still trying to get things straightened out with the insurance companies....what a pain.

pilfflip: The other driver was ok too and there were no passengers. The car that was behind me was also involved in the accident, but did not have nearly as much damage to his car. He was hit by the car that hit me as well.

I think the car that hit me was an early to mid 90's Mercury Sable, but not 100% sure as I haven't had a chance to get to the impound yard.

ballitch: I didn't know they had roll cages built into the frames! That's good to know, even after the fact!

unverviking: Definitely getting another Subaru! I've already contacted the dealers/people I was networking with before when I was searching. The main problem around here is Subarus only became more popular in the late 90's early 2000. There are tones of 2.5L vehicles around, not so many 2.2L ones :-\ Also the people with the 2.2L ones seem to hang onto them forever! When they make it onto the used car market they are usually very high mileage, or very beat up.

Subie94 & dresh: I hear ya...too many crazy accidents happening out there.

I'll be searching yet again for my next Subaru. If anyone from the board is in Canada and knows of a good manual, 2.2L Impreza or Legacy for sale let me know :-\

Urban Coyote

P.S: Just found out....it was a Mercury Grand Marquis that hit me.

Oh I'm so sorry! I wrecked my baby (exactly like yours, only silver and gray) 3 days after I got it!!! Scraped the right side off on a guard rail! Seeing those pictures makes me want to cry!! At least youre getting back on the horse! Hope the insurance company is cool...mine wrote me a check the next day. Good luck.

I was talking to a customer at work the other day that had the same car I do, except 1 year older. I see that a lot in WI though. Anyway I asked what year it was and she said a 97 or 98, it was her second one because the first got totalled. Hit and run outside of Chi-town, her Legacy Outback wagon flipped and rolled 4 times. She broke her collar bone and her sister walked away totally unharmed. I think I'll be keeping my 99 OBW for a long time.

S'but a flesh wound...

Congratulations, you've passed the crash test.

dude buy the car back from the insureance company.... you can usualy get them for 100 to 300 bucks and there will be lots of spair parts for you new ride. if your into that sort of thing. a

very glad to see that the big guy was watching of you....

Thanks for all the well wishes!

I'm thinking about trying to get it back, but I have a gut feeling they won't let it go for a few hundred bucks. They'll want to recoup as much as they can off my payment settlement and will probably send what's left of my car to auction once I sign it away :(

There's also the possibility I won't be able to find another and will end up taking a Legacy. I suppose I could always part it out and see what I can get for the bits and pieces.

Cheers,

Urban Coyote

P.S: It's not Dude...it's Dudette :cool: