Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fixing the terrible climate control system

hi -- i've got an '04 Forester with the auto climate control system. it's the worst thing about the car. the fan roars all the time when you put it on auto, the lights all go out when you turn off the fan, etc. basically, it's a piece of junk.

however, i spotted a glimmer of hope in an article in the NYTimes last week, which said:

Sam Later ... of NJ ... found that the automatic climate control in his Subaru Forester was letting him freeze in the winter and boil in the summer -- despite a temperature setting of 76 degrees. After complaining to the company and being told "the system is performing as designed," he got out his toolbox and traced the problem to a badly placed temperature sensor. "It forces the sensor to react to the slightest changes in temperature," he said. Mr. Later has now sold 20 kits to other Forester ownders, who can make the repair with a Phillips screwdriver, a 10-millimeter socket and some duct tape.

anyone know anything more about this mod? is the temperature sensor behind the tiny vent in front of the driver's right knee?

are their other fixes to the stupid heating/cooling system on this car that i should know about?

paul