Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was thinking about adding a sub to my 2001 Outback. I already have the box and an amp from a prior installation. The amp has both low and high imputs. Since I would be keeping my stock radio I plan on using the high imputs. In the back of the outback there is another 12V power outlet. Can I use the power and ground from that outlet to power up the amp. Also, can I use the imput from the top mounted tweeters to let the amp receive the signal. I was just trying to avoid the running of the wires and removing the doors panel to tap in to the speakers. Any thoughts....

I don't have any numbers to back this up but I would think that an amp (especially one for a sub) would draw more current than the 12V cigarette adapter could handle.

It's been a long time since I messed with amps and aftermarket stereos, but I remember tapping power directly from the battery for my amp.

I was thinking about adding a sub to my 2001 Outback. I already have the box and an amp from a prior installation. The amp has both low and high imputs. Since I would be keeping my stock radio I plan on using the high imputs. In the back of the outback there is another 12V power outlet. Can I use the power and ground from that outlet to power up the amp. Also, can I use the imput from the top mounted tweeters to let the amp receive the signal. I was just trying to avoid the running of the wires and removing the doors panel to tap in to the speakers. Any thoughts....

the safest bet would be to run power right from battery.i used 8 guage power and ground wire in my install(depends on wattage of amp).as far as getting signal to amp,just use the signal going to the back speakers.now unless you tap into them,you'll lose signal to them to.tapping into them so that both amp an bk speakers work,may reduce sound quality.

check with local audio store/they might sell something that allows you to use stock radio an hook up amp using low inputs on amp.