Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice needed buying a new used Subaru

First of all thank you all for making this a great place to be to meet nice people or if you need some help with you Subaru.

I have been driving Subaru’s form the mid 1980 and they are great cars. It has always got me all the way up to the cabin, the few times it has got to the point that it has been to much snow or to much ice, I just had to back down, slap it from HI to LO and throttle away. BTW: there is about 400 meters I height difference from the road that is clear for snow by the plows and up to my cabin, so it’s steep!

I have always taken good care of my cars and never had one fail. All repair on the cars have been done at service intervals and the only thinks I can think of are Rocket cover seals, cam seals, CV boots. On the last 1996 I had both front axels replaced as they started to sing “click clack” at full lock.

I’m thinking of buying a used legacy. Here are the criteria’s:

Wagon, because I need the space.

HI/LO, because I need a lot of power at very low speeds.

I don’t care about looks, as long as it says Subaru at the backJ

Can somebody please recommend the best wagon/engine/mt combo? And do I want the interference or the not interference engine? Also if you recommend if you know options available on this car?

Tank you for reading this post.

I'd suggest getting a legacy wagon with :

2.2 liter EJ22 NON-INTERFERENCE engine (don't want your engine to break if the timing belts fail...)

5 speed dual range transmission (lucky euro market...)

and well, that's about it, you should be able to rage it! :drunk:

operose was dead on about the 2.2 liter EJ22 NON-INTERFERENCE engine. The 2.2 seems like a super engine. Go for a manual if you can find it--if not the auto isn't all that bad.

I have a 95 LSi wagon. It's got all the goodies, so I'm spoiled by it. Great drivetrain. These cars seem very well assembled in regard to their design and fit & finish of the body and interior...compared to a Honda Civic, Chevy Cavalier and Oldsmobile Alero I previously owned. (People scoff at GM here, but I drove a Caprice Classic before my Sube and except for screwed up rear power glass, that thing was very solid in design and assembly.)

The leather interior is nice, but the power sunroof is what I could not live without. I could care less about the sometimes annoying security system. The 6 disc CD changer is sweet, but CD players aren't an expensive upgrade anyway, so why bother making that a priority. The alum wheels that came with the LSi package are nice, but mine are needing a new shot of clear coat as, cosmetically, alum wheels don't age near as well as steel. Find a whatever package wagon with a well maintained interior, but keep your eyes open for the factory sunroof. A crappy interior is a pain and huge expense to replace/fix. I love ABS and will never buy a car without it.

This car is a joy to do routine driveway maintenence on. Get one--if you've never owned a Subaru and get the 2.2 wagon, you'll be a happy person. Mine has 160,000 miles on it and is still a nice little car.

Anybody got any info on the automatic lowering/heightening system on the Legacy/outback?

Is it any good, is it prone to failure, also what is the cost of repair?

What years to get if I want the 2.2 non interference engine and what years are safe when it comes to the 2.5?

Anybody got any info on the automatic lowering/heightening system on the Legacy/outback?

Is it any good, is it prone to failure, also what is the cost of repair?

What years to get if I want the 2.2 non interference engine and what years are safe when it comes to the 2.5?

I bought a 91 Legacy LS last week with air suspension. It had a slow leak in the left front strut. I didn't think it was a big deal and since it was a great price and in mint shape (loaded, low miles, no rust) I bought it without checking the price of struts. I was quoted $569.00 CDN EACH! Ouch!

Since both of the front struts are in rough shape and the rears are old as well I am now researching options for replacing the suspension with a conventional spring strut suspension.

I'm not upset though since it was the right price so I can pay to fix it. I still really like the car, I just have to wait a few minutes in the morning for the front to air up before I can drive it.

Paul

(Yeah, my first post!)