Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Outback is also a PIECE of JUNK!!!

Hi Everyone, just wanted to spread the word about my experiences with junk Subaru's and why I don't plan on buying another. I had a 2002 Outback Wagon which I bought new. It had the garbage clutch of that time period and also had that wonderful burning smell. My dealer was good to me and got me into a new 2003 for a really good price.Well, the throwout bearing in the clutch went at 19,000 miles and today I found out I need two new pistons at 33,000 miles. I am SO happy with Subaru's!! I thought these things were reliable!

You've come to the right place! No other Subaru forum is as persisitantly negative and unhappy as this one!

Lots of Subarus are assembled in Indiana but using Japanese drive trains so I don't see how there could be a quality difference in the drive train. We have a 2003 Legacy w/5 speed and I guess lucky enough not to have any piston slap or clutch issues (only at 31k). Seems lots of folks on this board love to bash Fords these days. Worse car we have ever owned was a Subaru Loyale 92 model bought new and was a true piece of crap. Swore off Subarus until I bought my little Brat 7.5 years ago, still have my baby. Since then we have owned a 93 Legacy (daughter's car) which was an Indiana car and bullet proof and my wife's 2003 which has been 100% reliable. Of all the Fords we have owned, the 3 Mustangs I would give high ratings. The 85 Mustang we bought new and sold with 67k, total repairs $40, 89 Mustang bought w/ 61k and sold w/ 122k timing belt and water pump (cost can't remember), 98 Stang bought new total repairs big fat zero and sold w/87k. I won't even get into the Ford trucks cause I have owned several over the years from F100 to F250 and still have a 2000 F150. I will say they have all mirrored the Mustangs for reliabilty. I wish you luck with your Outback and hope you have no more trouble because I have been were you are back in 94 but we had gone 1k over warrenty.

SevenSisters, the last two Legacys we have bought were built in Indiana, both the 93 and 2003. The India Chevrolet Forrester that the article refers to states that it is built in the land of the rising sun, Jap, and rebadged as a Chevrolet.

Yes, I understand. My '91 was built in Indiana too. I thought you were referring to my other post. And yes, I know the Chevy Forester is really built in Japan.

Just my subtle way of commenting on Subaru quality of late.

By the way, I think I saw Earnhart Jr. driving a Forester the other day.

I had a GEO Prizm (Toyota Corolla drivetrain). I could always count on the engine and tranny, but the rest of the car, made in America, was a pice of crap.

I was also a previous FORD owner... never again.

I still love my '96 2.2, and it's doing very well in the abnormally snowy weather over here in the Rheinland Pfalz.

I love my '03 outback only problems so far have been a rheostat(heater fan )resistor failure. Also a TCU problem with the 4eat(reprogrammed no problems).

I have almost 25,000miles on mine and drive the piss out of it on offroad. It is a tank! I have modded the hell out of mine. I'll keep my outback for ten years or better.

lifted2.jpg

A mechanic I used to know as a friend as well as work with at a Mercedes-Benz/Volvo dealer (an incredibly skilled guy w/ 30+ years of various import car experience and who everyone in the shop looked upon as a 'god') refered to Penzoil as "golden glue".. Nuff said. :(

Hiergehts

Yah know--

I had a 2003 Subaru Forester. It covered a lot of distance with very diverse terrain. I traded it in on a Toyota this past January.

I must admit. For what I use my car for, the truck makes alot more sense. (However, the Toyota makes dirt roads and hills much less challenging)

BUT

I still have a couple of OLD Subarus sitting in my driveway. I intend on keeping those. I feel there was much more quality in the 80s and early 90s Subarus than there is today.

I put my 88 GL through absolute hell when I had it. It just kept going. My 93 Legacy seemed even more tough. (Don't ask about what I did to it- use your imagination)

Get an older one. Served me well.

Ditto on that. How hard did you drive it? That is either a terrible driver or terrible luck.

Get yourself a nice used Legacy with a 2.2l engine...

Do any of you even know what a throw out bearing is? It's the Bearing that allows the clutch to spin on the fork as you press and release your clutch. To say a driver can abuse this part is ridiculous. That's like saying someone that drives too hard can wear out their wheel bearings. Engine bearings are different because you can spin them beyond the RPM they are designed to withstand (in older cars without rev limiters).

Now Pistons needing replaced at 30k is a different matter, but short of the owner running NOS or upgrading an existing turbo to push more boost a stock piston should have no problems to live 200k or more. Even a 600 hp engine needing new pistons at 30k means the engine was running incorrectly... usually too lean and will cause the piston to over heat and either crack then explode or melt.

Sorry for your problems with your subie, mine's been good to me, but then I have a 98 not a 00 and newer. I do agree with you on fords... I have a friend that recently sold his f-150 4 door 5.4ltr 2x4 that averaged 25mpg. Short of missing the 4wd it was a beautiful truck. Only reason he sold it was to buy a house. I am a little on the biased side when it comes to Fords... I own 2 late 80s 5.0s... and I can say that a stock 5.0 would easily go 200k without any major work... I've seen it done

EDITED for spelling :)

If you rest your foot on the clutch you can smoke the throwout bearing. If you sit at stoplights and hold the clutch in instead of shifting to nuetral, it will accelerate throwout bearing wear. It's not a constant duty bearing. I have to say that all the Japanese makes have been cheapening to meet the lows in quality that the american companies get away with. Hondas have gotten a lot crappier. the 93-98 body style was the last good one for civics. The new ones rattle and the struts are crap. Subaru is unfortunately following the trend. The 2.2l engines are proven to be resiliant and beatable; Most cars with the 2.2 in them are up to the old standards. The new ones, that can't be always said for. Just look where subaru wants to go with the B9 Tribeca. They made the wagon popular again and now abandon it for the crossover crowd. Sigh.

I don't mind the sun sometimes; the images it shows. I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes. Cinniamon and sugary softly spoken lies, you never know how you look through other peoples' eyes.

Hey Rem14. have you ever tried Toyota. When it comes to reliability You can't beat a Toyota. I once owned a 85 Tercel and had 185,000 miles on the original clutch when I sold it. Only mechanical failure was a alternator around 160,000.

I haven't had as bad luck as you with my Subaru. But It hasn't been perfect either. My Clutch lasted over a 100,000. I also had to do a engine reseal the same time. And I've been constantly getting check engine light codes for the last 2 years. But nothing as major as your Subarus. I also lost my ABS system about a year ago.

Hey Scoobyclimbs. Nice Front bumper on your Outback. I haven't seen any good pictures of that. Mudrat told me about it. I Can't wait to get some Mudrat bumpers on my Forester.