Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '98 Outback with the factory rims. Factory tire size is P205/75 R15. I am considering installing P215/65 R15's if it will work. Has anyone tried this? Any problems with clearance? I am not worried about the speedo differences, just the clearance. Thanks!

Well, you should be okay for clearance, but I would fear for the negative effect on handling.

Yes, I do mean negative. Rim to tyre width is very important. The absolute minimum is 70%. However, 80 to 90% is the sweet spot.

I would expect that your stock rims are only 6.0 inches wide, which means a 205 section tyre is already the limit. Going up to 215 will make the steering response more "soggy" and the overall handling softer.

Well, you should be okay for clearance, but I would fear for the negative effect on handling.

Yes, I do mean negative. Rim to tyre width is very important. The absolute minimum is 70%. However, 80 to 90% is the sweet spot.

I would expect that your stock rims are only 6.0 inches wide, which means a 205 section tyre is already the limit. Going up to 215 will make the steering response more "soggy" and the overall handling softer.

am i the only one with stock rims that are 6.5"????