Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is a Divorced Transfer Case?

Decker_Forester

this is nothing like just bolting on a part. It would require a completely custom front suspenion and lift, around 6" or higher, to hold a seperate front differential, a subframe fabricated to hold the transfer case, and custom drivelines.

The problem is that in the forester you don't have a low range in your transmission like older subarus do. So you dont have the gearing for serious off-roading. Adding a transfer case gives you a low range, but it requires serious fabrication, which I doubt you want to go through on a forester unless you're made of money.

Other gearing solutions would be to adapt an older model subaru dual range transmission into your forester, or find a newer dual range transmission from europe or australia since they werent available in the US, and have it shipped to you.

you can turn 29s no problem without a transfer case on the road and on fairly flat off-road terrain. But once you get into obstacles and hillclimbs you will be burning the clutch up or having to take things at higher speeds which makes body and drivetrain damage more likely.

You'll need more than 4" to fit a divorced t-case. 29's should have no problem being ran by the EJ25 in your forester, and 4" of lift would be nice.

Mudrat79 makes custom fabricated tube bumpers for the outbacks and foresters, would make for a slick ride.

-Brian

So it wont all burn up if i try to run 29s on what i got just with a body lift? I was told by other people on here all the clutchs in the tranny would burn up if i went up a hill? I need the truth.

Ohh and chef tim how does the EA to EJ tranny adaptor work?

Thanks Everybody, Ben

your motor has a different bolt pattern than the older motors, so you need an adapter in order to use an older dual range transmission.

I dont think you need to worry about gearing, its only really steep stuff that will matter (like so steep that you feel like your pointing straight up towards the sky)

If you go with the available low height lifts and 29s, you could handle it well on your clutch for light off-roading. There are MANY very good aftermarket clutches intended for the Impreza that will hold up to abusive rally type use and would certainly solve your problem.

I would encourage you to look into the Tcase option for the Forrester. With about 8 ~ 10 inches lift you could well work in the case and 32~33s. The stock 5MT is stronger than the prior generation trannys so I would take the time and effort to weld the center diff and convert it to rear output. Better yet, if you have the 4EAT auto that is a tough tranny and with a cooler would also be a great solution. Just beware that you will need to learn to weld to tackle this, of course you would be the only guy in the world with one.

Mudrat and I are putting a older 5-speed dual range in my forester. Right now i only have a 2" lift and 27" tires. I can't run any bigger tire with my current lift or it will rub on the fender wells. You might be able to fit 29" tires with a 4" lift. I think it will be geared fine to run around with. But you won't have any low gearing to climb anything. The 5-speed dual range will probably be enough for light wheeling. If you want do more severe wheeling you will have to lift it at least 6-8" to fit the divorced transfer case. I would go with the 5-speed dual-range first. And if you find it isn't geared low enough. Add the Divorced transfer case behind it. That's what I plan on doing with my Forester.

Ok everyone i think i understand... let me see if i got this, i can run 29's with a 4in. body lift.. if i get a 5 speed dual range tranny? so if i got this all clear where do i get one of these trannys? mudrat sells them or just the adaptor? i really appreciate everyones help.

Ben

Ben, you don't need a D/R tranny, it would just be more adventagise for serious off roading. I'm running 28" Swammpers on an EA81 hatch and she does okay. Your 2.0/2.5 will be fine. If I'm reading your post correctly, do you have an automatic in it right now??? That's the only way you'd have "clutches". Tim

The tranny is a ea82 5-speed dual range out of Loyale 4wd. You can probably pick one up at a junkyard in your area. You will also want the 3:90 rear diff gears. You could get those from the same vehicle or get the 3:90 gears and Limited slip from a XT-6. Mudrat can make you the adapter plate and send it out to you. You can email mudrat at mudrat79@hotmail.com or call him at 541-206-2494 for more details on other parts and mods necessary to the conversion. In a couple weeks my Forester Dual-range conversion should be complete. We should have some pictures and I'll let you know how it performs.

Ben, you don't need a D/R tranny, it would just be more adventagise for serious off roading. I'm running 28" Swammpers on an EA81 hatch and she does okay. Your 2.0/2.5 will be fine. If I'm reading your post correctly, do you have an automatic in it right now??? That's the only way you'd have "clutches". Tim

Yes right now i have just the 2.5 with an automatic behind it, so what do i have to have to be able to run some 29's?

Thanks

Ben