Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody who has ever blown a head gasket please read...

In hopes of showing Subaru that there is in fact a head gasket problem on the 2.5L motors, i've created a guestbook where people can sign to keep a record of some of the many failures.

the guestbook can be reached at:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze730qe/guestlog.html

you can choose to use your real name or your screen name, the only reason it is there is to help identify unique cases. feel free to include the names collected when corresponding with Subaru.

Please spread this around to anybody you know who has had hg problems...after all, the more names, the greater the likelyhood of getting some acknowledgement from subaru. it should also help track which engines and which years are having multiple failures, and how big (or smaill) the problem really is...

thanks for your help...

ps... the guestbook acts up a little bit here and there. if you have trouble submitting, try again, it usually works. if you have further problems, mail the info to the email on that page and i will manually add it.

Apparently Subaru is aware of a problem with the EJ25 head gaskets. I was talking to a independent Subaru Tech that I use to work with. He has noticed that the gaskets have been redesigned twice. He began to notice the most recent changes about a year ago.

There have been 4 part no. in total that I know of for the Phase I engine head gaskets. (Original, plus 3 subsequent ones.) The gasket that went on my car just over a year ago was a "4" layer affair. I couldn't tell you if there have been any changes since.

I've heard that Subaru has already brought out a replacement gasket for the Phase II engines, but I can't substantiate that.

Commuter

Somethings is wrotten in the state of Subaru:

I had the HG on my EJ22 (!) replaced at 120Kmiles and the brand new OE gaskets started getting wet. In the morning, the gaskets would be wet to touch and moisture would collect on the head and block. Engine on for a minute or two and of course the moisture would evaporate, can you imagine the fight I had with the dealer... Got new ones, of a different design in the end. So far so good.

Anyway, I also replaced my clutch in Jan 2002, and guess what? BIG TIME COLD JUDDER :banghead:

I am STILL fighting the dealer who installed the clutch :argue:

It's a shame of grand proportions that Subaru is going the way of everyone else. Used to be possible to trust their OE parts. Is GM to blame??

GLCraigGT - well, subaru seems to be sending mixed messages. i included the fact that they had revised the head gasket many times since its original release in my letter to subaru. in their reply, they said that a) they are unaware of any problems with the head gasket (officially, while many dealers are quite familiar), and that B) their "parts are updated and improved on a regular basis, as are other manufacturers in order to stay competitive." they seemed to side step my whole argument that the bad design of the head gasket was the problem.

setright - i went with the oe (american) clutch and have been very pleased. maybe you got old parts??

what is the relationship of subaru to gm? i've heard a few references, but haven't found anything about it (not that i've looked that hard).

GM owns 24% of subaru.

What happened was, subaru owed money to a bank a while back. Owned by one of the other jap cars (I think either Nissan or Mazda, but mazda is owned by ford) the bank wanted the money, and subaru didn't want to give out and end up in the hands of another jap car company, so they sold some stock. GM bought 20% with a deal...

Ever notice that subarus are sold at nearly every GM dealership now? Subaru wanted more publicity and places to sell their cars, and GM wanted some special rights to subaru's AWD technology, so a tradeoff began. I think it was either that prior to selling 20% of it's stock, or thereafter, GM bought another 4%.

So that's the deal, as I've heard it. GM owns 24% stock in Subaru.

For some links to HG info, have a look here:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html

I need to fix the USMB link... this is my first visit since the redesign and I don't spend much time here (too busy lately). Please suggest additional links or information that you feel are relevant, thanks.

Steve

edit:

I have fixed the USMB link... it's gone and replaced by a link to Skip's page and a thread he posted w/ a link to the page.