Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to expect from intake and inlet hose on Ecuteked STX car?

I need to know, hopefully from tuners, what gains in throttle response and/or spool up time can I expect, if any, from an intake and/or inlet hose on an Ecutek'd STX legal WRX.....

STX legal = no boost alterations

I am not expecting actual HP numbers, just response and spool changes, if any.

Thanks,

Scott

Be careful on your inlet choice, as shown many kits out now harm or have no effect on performance, the STI is very sensative on this matter. The K&N typhoon seems to be at or near the top of the heap. You can expect some improvement in low end toruqe from the new map, and be prepared to run the highest ocatane possible to max out your ignition curves. The problem with the boost mod limitation is that you can't fill in some of the "underboosted" parts of the curve for the real gains. Still, expect some increased responsiveness. Also, are you allowed exhaust changes? Ditching the up pipe cat makes a huge difference coupled with a large diameter turbo back exhaust.

Thanks for the info.........

Yes..I am allowed exhaust mods and do have a gutted stock up-pipe with full turbo back with one high flow cat.

It almost seems that its just not a good idea or a waste of money, more or less, to do such mods on a mostly stock car, especially with no boost changes in the map.

Scott

True, you are upgrading the parts that let the engine make power, not the parts that make power. I for one don't understand the philosophy of limiting your vehicle to satasfy something you do a few days out of the year. I would say just build the car and disregard the catagory you are put in. You can always compare your runs against past runs to measure the impact of vehicle mods and personal skill.

I'm sure, eventually, I will get to that point, but right now my primary objective is to compete and be competitive in a particular class, so I dont mind the limitations. Thats just part of racing...

At this point, I just dont feel that any cost vs. gain for this particular mod is worth it. It would cost over $400 for the parts with on a "hope" of any gain.

Thanks for your input...

Scott