Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vapor seperator lines...

On the vapor separator/charcoal cannister, under the hood, there are 4 hoses coming off it. One of the center ones is a return line to the (rear of the car) condenser tank then to the actual gas tank. I believe there is a one way valve in the center of the car on that line.

Question;

What happens if I plug that line at the cannister?

If it should not be pluged, do I need a one way valve or what ever that thing was?

How will this effect the running of the vehicle?

I have a breather tube on the tank and I'm not worried about that end.

Does any of this make sense?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

can you remove the canister without significant gas mileage or motor running issues? i'd like to pull the entire canister out and plug up all 3 lines going to the canister or just remove them if i can. is that what you're talking about?

what does that thing do anyway? will it still pass emissions?

That's what i'm talking about...

As I understand it, with the help of the front and rear canisters, gas vapors are recycled through this system.

I don't know about emmissions?

I was wondering if my car would still run right?

Its a purge canister. The fuel system purges vapor to it. EPA mandated years ago that car manufacturers stop venting the fuel system directly to the atmosphere. Purge can was used to abide by these laws. You will still pass emissions but its not EPA legal. Not a vital part of your fuel system.

i'm still confused. why don't the manufacturers just *plug the lines* from the dealer? no gases will escape right? i've never understood that freaking thing.

is this system how air gets into the gas tank as fuel is pumped out? with fuel pumping out of a completely closed systeme, that would create a vacuum in the gas tank.

i'm really wanting a good explanation of why this canister has to be there. why were fuel systems *vented* to the atmosphere to begin with?

It's my understanding fuel systems are vented for saftey reasons. Gas is continuously evaporating and it could build upto dangerouse levels in your tank.

Back in the day they just vented the tank to the atmosphere cuase frankly it was easy. Just like how they vented crank case gases to the atmosphere. Nobody gave a rip back then :drunk:

i'm still confused. why don't the manufacturers just *plug the lines* from the dealer? no gases will escape right? i've never understood that freaking thing.

is this system how air gets into the gas tank as fuel is pumped out? with fuel pumping out of a completely closed systeme, that would create a vacuum in the gas tank.

i'm really wanting a good explanation of why this canister has to be there. why were fuel systems *vented* to the atmosphere to begin with?

on the ea81 and carbed ea82 there are 3 fuel lines coming into the engine bay.

Primary feed

Fuel Return line

Vapor Return/Vent line

you can plug up the fuel return line, but the vapor vent line needs to stay open if your fule system is still stock in the rear with your vapor canister.

if you have the tank vented already, then you can plug them.

when I first installed a weber, I plugged everything, then while driving on the interstate, it started to choke and sputter and quit on me. I had used enough fuel that it had created a vacuum and the pump couldn't overcome that vacuum. I could barely get the fuel cap off. in fact I nearly got a face full of gas because of the "backdraft" effect when I opened it.

on my current webers, I leave the vent tube open up in the corner of the engine bay, so it's be very hard for it to be submerged :)

so you can remove the canister. and you can plug two of the lines in the engine bay that run to the canister. but one needs to be left open to vent the gas tank? is that right. damn, i leaveing for wedding/honeymoon right now and probably will miss the rest of this discussion.

It's my understanding fuel systems are vented for saftey reasons. Gas is continuously evaporating and it could build upto dangerouse levels in your tank.

Back in the day they just vented the tank to the atmosphere cuase frankly it was easy. Just like how they vented crank case gases to the atmosphere. Nobody gave a rip back then :drunk:

i think it was the late 60's that it was mandated so this shouldnt suprise anyone. the vapors arent stuck in the canister either. they are in most cars sucked in the engine when the throttle is most of thw way open.

so you can remove the canister. and you can plug two of the lines in the engine bay that run to the canister. but one needs to be left open to vent the gas tank? is that right. damn, i leaveing for wedding/honeymoon right now and probably will miss the rest of this discussion.

why would you want to? it doesnt suck any power or anything.