Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lowering my EA82 FAQ

ok since if gotten many PMs over the past year on the subject here's a quick FAQ on me lowering my wagon

as i have stated many many times, you have to have the right "base" IE;

you have to use the lowest struts possible, i wanted to go the dumped route. hence me using xt6 2wd when i did my 5 lug and not legacy/impreza front struts.

for anyone else that is not doing the 5 lug. The 2wd xt has the lowest front strut..and just to give you an idea. the left one is a 4x4 front strut off a gl wagon, the one next to is one off a 2wd xt. see the difference

4012005_0302Image0006.JPG

also if you are using your run of the mill or ebay special coilovers, the "collars" will not fit on 4wd front struts..

4012005_0302Image0007.JPG

as for the rears lower availabe ones would be 2wd xt. i used a set of brand new kyb rears for a 2wd sedan..

as far as my springs go the fronts are rated at 350lb, and 250lb for the rear

and just for fun... i have another inch of drop left:lol: and need to finish rolling the rear fenders

4012005_0302Image0004.JPG

sorry is crooked but its a littel cramped underneath

4012005_0302Image0002.JPG

401brads1-med.jpg

feel free to ask Q's in this post as it will be a nice thread to tell the n00bs to search for LOL:lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do the 2wd rear struts just bolt in on a 4wd car or are ther mods that need to be made?

yes

as for rear spring upgrades... we lucked out with them being small & linear. you can get 2.5" diameter springs (same as rear stock) in different height and lb ratings

new-> http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/category.php/CA=31

Good info Brad...

My experience when I swaped my -6 over from air. (REAR)

I checked al kinds of GL and XT rear struts and looked for the one listed in the FSM as having shorter body length, what I found was, even though the 2wd drive have a shorter body length, the overall length is almost the same. The only exception to this I found is the '85/'86 adjustale rear struts from a 4wd or RX, they are close to 1" shorter when set on the lowest setting. I also flipped my top mount over (this would take some upper fender mods to fit) and gained another 1 1/4" this allowed to cut less off my spring and maintain better handling through more travel. I did cut 1 coil off my spring, any more than this and the sring would be shorter than the extended length of the strut, which is bad. The combination of these three mods yielded 3"+ inches of lowering while maintaining near stock performance.

KYB has the adjustable struts available, I just ordered a set but they don't have the collars, so you would need to source a set of original ones.

BTW Brad:::You're wagon looks GOOD!!!

wth? I put rear 2wd XT struts on the rear of ym RX and it LIFTED it 2 inches? THe spring perch heights are different.

got pics?

The shortest rears Ive seen are the 4WD ones....but the shortest one for the front are certinly the XT 2wds! :banana:

• 2 years later...
2wd rear dampers have a higher perch than 4wd..putting 2wd shocks on 4wd swing arms will lift the car higher..the bracket where the lower shock mount is bolted to the swing arm is higher to clear the outer cv joint..

hate to rehash an old thread but here we go

i know about the xt front struts for the subaru wagons lower one and a half to 2 inches.

for the rears did i understand right that to use xt rear struts as well

now as far as springs go can you use the xt springs as well or do i need to buy new. also that thread said eibach springs can you purchase eiback springs for the xt cars

Ben

hate to rehash an old thread but here we go

i know about the xt front struts for the subaru wagons lower one and a half to 2 inches.

for the rears did i understand right that to use xt rear struts as well

now as far as springs go can you use the xt springs as well or do i need to buy new. also that thread said eibach springs can you purchase eiback springs for the xt cars

Ben

dont bother using 2wd xt rear shocks, they are longer units.

eibach springs, look at their universal spring replacements as they are nearly identical to ea82 rear springs. they sell 2.5"id springs in a varity of different length & lb rattings.

whats the stock spring height? I would like to know what recommended height is for springs also weight rating. I have air bags on it now and I dont think I like em much. I would like to lower it maybe 2 inches front and rear. What would you recommend?

• 3 weeks later...
ok how about this.

when i was looking at a picture of connies bucky 2wd loyale the rear sits lower then the front. is it possible to swap rear suspeneion parts of a 4wd wagon to a 2wd wagon and will that even work at lowering the rear.

Ben

It is probably lower in the rear because theres something in the trunk, or the springs are worn out from age.

And yes, all ea82 suspension parts are interchangable. 2wd wagon will be slightly shorter than 4wd wagon

It is probably lower in the rear because theres something in the trunk, or the springs are worn out from age.

And yes, all ea82 suspension parts are interchangable. 2wd wagon will be slightly shorter than 4wd wagon

i was just looking for a slight drop maybe 1 to 2 inches max i know what to do up front but puzzled for rear

• 3 months later...

Ok i searched this thread and others..... and im still at a loss of thought over which particular parts are needed to lower my car. I have seen broad examples, but still left me wondering. I have a 92 loyale 4wd and just want to drop the back end about and inch maybe 2. Would getting shorter springs do the trick? or should i get struts from a 2wd wagon? I need new struts/ springs an would appreciate any definite answers!

ishada. order up some coilover sleeve springs from ground control (http://www.ground-control-store.com) or, if you're willing to sacrifice some quality to save some coin, find some generic ones on ebay....anything like it for a '93-'01 impreza will work.

Ok i searched this thread and others..... and im still at a loss of thought over which particular parts are needed to lower my car. I have seen broad examples, but still left me wondering. I have a 92 loyale 4wd and just want to drop the back end about and inch maybe 2. Would getting shorter springs do the trick? or should i get struts from a 2wd wagon? I need new struts/ springs an would appreciate any definite answers!

there isn't a definite answer. 2wd shocks will do nothing. and there isn't a known shorter spring other than aftermarket. the Ground control 2.5" inner diameter springs (link listed above) fit perfectly in the stock EA82 rear upper perches, and can be ordered in any length/spring rate. so take some measurements (unweighted length! and stock rear springs for a wagon are 196 lb/in), and send 'em an email.