Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I heard locksmiths could cut a key from the VIN, but today I checked a few and they said I had to go to a dealer. Anyone know? The keys that came with this car are pretty worn, and I don't want to wear out the tumblers. No power locks, so they get used often.

I heard locksmiths could cut a key from the VIN, but today I checked a few and they said I had to go to a dealer. Anyone know? The keys that came with this car are pretty worn, and I don't want to wear out the tumblers. No power locks, so they get used often.

My husband had to get new keys cut for his vehicle so he went to a discount store to get them done. They wouldn't work right with the ignition. He went to the dealer with his VIN and got the correct keys made on the spot. It was quick and reasonably priced.

We've discovered that the box store and Ace keys bend in the tailgate lock. We get lots of dirt and dust and the locks tend to get dirty during winter. Only the dealer keys have a thick enough shank to take the twist.

I called in advance and the dealer had a key ready when The Pretty One came to the parts dept. Price was a couple bucks more than WallyWorld, but that key only lasted three days.

I don't know for sure if the key can be cut from the VIN, but the car originally came with a key code (4 or 5 characters long) which is often written on the inside of the owner's manual by the salesman. A key can easily be cut by the dealer with this number.

Keep in mind that often the key is not the only worn part of the deal. The inside of the lock gets worn also. They key and the lock wear into each other so a key cut to code may not work as well in a worn lock as it did in a new one.

Nonetheless, should always have some extras around. Cut from code or not.

-Heikki

you can also get the combo for the ignition from the inside of the ignition thingy in your steering wheel area, take off plastic panels and remove ignition and take it apart, should be a number on there somewhere, take it to locksmith and tell him/her make/model/combo number, worked for a guy i knows' minivan, might be same for subies, might not.

~Josh~

On the old gen cars the key code is punched into the front passenger door lock (on the inside of course). I suspect this is the same for the newer cars; most dealers don't seem to write the key code in the owner's manual.