Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently changed teh ATF in my '90 Legacy L wagon with EJ22 and 142k on the clock. But it is still shifting slow and feels like it is starting to slip on take-off. Can I adjust the bands in the 4EAT?

There is only one band that is adjustable. The procedure is in the Haynes Subie Manual.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the link but the problem associated with stretched band does not seem to be the problem I am having with the 4EAT in my ’98 Legacy L wagons with 155k? It shifts fine but when you first start the car in the morning and it is cold it takes more throttle to get it going in Drive than when the car is warmed up. After a few standing starts she works fine???

Does anyone know why you would adjust the brake band on a 4EAT? What I mean is, why does Subaru provide for this adjustment and what kind of problem would an adjustment of the band likely correct?

Now I'm curious because my 99 Legacy GT automatic has developed a "slip/bang" only on the 4-3 downshift (when you stomp on the throttle to pass at hiway speeds). For a split-second it "over-revs" like it has downshifted into 2nd, then it bangs into 3rd. UPshifts are great, even under hard acceleration, and there's still no delay when the shifter is moved from "P" to "D"---cold or warm---since I changed fluid and filter.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well the 4EAT in my '98 Legacy L wagon with 150k is geting worse. I have drain and refilled with semi-syn. ATF. The screen was changed about 60k ago when the pan was droped. IT takes about 3,000RPM's before she starts to feel like she is pulling on the first couple of take off's! Then after warm up it performs better on take off's and starts to pull around 1,500 RPM.