Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 99 Legacy L wagon and want to change tires on factory 15" wheels from original 195/60-15 to 195/65-15. As far as the wheel clearance, I found out from the good people on this forum, I should not have any problems. My concern is the spare. I presume the standard spare will no longer be suitable (with slightly bigger tire diameter), so I think to buy another standard 15" wheel and mount the same 195/65-15 tire on it - to match the rest. The question is: will it fit into the spare tire well? I wonder of OBW has the same size spare wheel well as regular Legacy?

I have 99 Legacy L wagon and want to change tires on factory 15" wheels from original 195/60-15 to 195/65-15. As far as the wheel clearance, I found out from the good people on this forum, I should not have any problems. My concern is the spare. I presume the standard spare will no longer be suitable (with slightly bigger tire diameter), so I think to buy another standard 15" wheel and mount the same 195/65-15 tire on it - to match the rest. The question is: will it fit into the spare tire well? I wonder of OBW has the same size spare wheel well as regular Legacy?

there's almost no difference from 60-65.

dont' worry about the spare. Carry a fuse with you.

when you get a flat, put the spare tire in the rear and put in the FWD fuse, all will be well.

there's almost no difference from 60-65.

dont' worry about the spare. Carry a fuse with you.

when you get a flat, put the spare tire in the rear and put in the FWD fuse, all will be well.

LosDiosDeVerde86, what FWD fuse are you talking about? This is an AWD car with manual transmission. Can you explain it so I understand what you mean, please?

LosDiosDeVerde86, what FWD fuse are you talking about? This is an AWD car with manual transmission. Can you explain it so I understand what you mean, please?

i'm sure there's hundreds of other guys that would be happy to explain it to you... there's probably a thread with a picture... lemme search for it...

There is no fuse spot for a manual trans. The fuse is to lock out AWD on automatic cars only...

Matt

Can you run the car for long periods with the fuse installed, and would there be an increase in fuel economy with the fuse installed? I drive long distances every day, and gas prices are getting crazy.

Can you run the car for long periods with the fuse installed, and would there be an increase in fuel economy with the fuse installed? I drive long distances every day, and gas prices are getting crazy.

Some do this and I've seen claims of increased milage. There is debate about whether it harms anything. The consensus seems to be that it is not a good thing in the long term (to run an AWD Subaru in FWD mode). Personally, I have had a couple of times where I've run with the fuse in for a week. For me, a week is 2 tanks of gas. Both times, I did not notice any difference in my gas milage.

YMMV.

Commuter