Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru is also the only manufacturer offering a manual transmission AWD car right now - rest of the manufacturers make theirs available only as automatics - which are inherently less reliable

You got that right!! Just like subaru's automatic transmissions--inherently less reliable. I just posted an item about our 2000 Legacy L Wagon whose automatic transmission has failed at 90,000. One owner/driver, driven by a 50 year old woman who drives according to the actual speed limits all the time, and on tar roads only! And who had the transmission flushed at 60,000.

Subaru's reply to our complaint? Sorry, things happen. There is no latent defect, we don't know what you are talking about.

A three-time Subaru purchasers has to deal with this problem, and this type of response. Go figure. I told my wife she should by a Hyundai, at least they are confident that their engines and transmission are built to last and stand behind them for 100,000 miles!! QUESTION: Why doesn't Subaru provide a 100,000 mile engine and transmission warranty?

And I have not even discussed the problems with the head and head gasket. I smelled antifreeze when my wife would drive the car into the garage. It had about 82,000 miles. I told her I thought there was a problem. But I didn't see any leakes, so I let it go. Two weeks later I recived the recall concerning the head gasket leaks. Took in the car. they put in the addative that was required and said that the defect had not caused any engine problems. Now the car has 97,000 miles on iot. I have again smelled the antifreeze from the engine area when she pulls into the garage. The engine was tuned up by the Subaru dealer several months ago. When she starts the car and begins driving in the morning the engine "shutters severly" making a shaking sensation. I discussed this with the dealer at the time the tune up was done. His reply? Yes, the 2000 Subarus have engines that shanke and shutter more than usual. My take on this is that there is some problem interanlly but whcih they do not want to reveal--it's just not "the way the 2000 Subaru engine behaves".

DISGUSTED

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't Subaru provide a 100,000 mile engine and transmission warranty?

Because Subaru knows there is a subset of owners who like to tourture their cars:D .

I wish there was a better resolution to your problems but maybe its your mechanic/dealer. They are all different.

d.

My dog occasionally gets zapped by the underground fence system I installed this winter. According to the literature that came with the fence, it's because dogs don't generalize experiences very well. It's unfortunate he has to suffer this painful experience over and over because he can't generalize the information he's received.

Disclaimer: I have no formal training in dog psychology.

All I hear on commercials for any car company is HP this and HP that

stuff like that goes back to the muscle car period,where the company that cound offer the most hp at the least cost to the customer.they'd win thay customer.weither they have peaked or not i'll still drive my subie an still be a big fan.

:banana: Ya Subaru