Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ive been planning to flush the tranny for a while, finally got everything I need but now I have a problem. The plug wont move. At all. Im starting to think it has never been changed, feels like its sealed up. I got the tranny itself to move a little but not the damn plug. I was gonna just unscrew the tranny filter to drain at least most of it out and do it that way since the polug wont move but after an hr of staring at the underside of my car I cant even find it. I seen the pic floating around on here that showed where the filter should be on an auto 90 legacy, I assumed it would be somewhere in that area for a 93 but when I looked there on my car nothings there. Maybe my frustration's getting the best of me can someone help me out here? where is my filter supposed to be and any good ideas on how to loosen the tranny plug so I can drain the thing? I cant find a manual for my car either or I would have got one by now (cant do online Im horrible with credit cards) I need to flush it soon...like I said I dont think its ever been changed (well maybe 150k ago) and I know the life for the fluid is long long gone.

I'm not sure there was an external filter on the 90 MY Loyale. I do remember that the drain plug was a bear to get out. If you don't have an impact wrench, just ooomph the sucker out of there. Use leverage (as in put a pipe over the wrench handle to get a longer lever arm). In extremely stubborn situations, I've even read where you can position the wrench with the pipe over the handle in such a way that you jack up the car, position the wrench against the ground and then lower the car. The weight of the car is used to "wrench" the item free. I've never tried this as I am concerned that if the force is transferred improperly to the ground, I might affect the earth's rotation.

By the way, in replacing the plug, I believe there is a crush washer as with the oil drain plug.

I know theres an internal one, i assumed mine came with an external one as well since the pic I was going by had one and it was the same gen legacy.

I'm working in limited space (as in my apt's garage, the spot next to mine is almost always empty when Im working on my car tho) and since I now live an an apt I had to get rid of a bunch of my toys, including my hydrolic jack so I can pretty much only go as high as the factory scissor jack will go, I'm missing that extra foot or so right about now. I was using 16mm (17 maybe, it was in that area, I know its still attached to the ratchet at the moment) socket and my 1/2" drive ratchet, no cheater bar tho, like I said I had to get rid of a bunch of my toys due to lack of room. Then again if I still had everything I did a yr ago I'd have impact tools and wouldnt need to worry about it. Well since the car's currently nice and warm (been driving for the last oh 3-4 hrs) and its 3am Im gonna go give it one more try,

I hope you're not crawling under there with just scissor jacks! They make very good, lightweight, plastic ramps now. That's the safest way.

LOL not the way Ive been jerking at the thing! Im using jack stands, but last time I went looking for them the lightweight ramps dont set the car up very high, maybe a foot, I havent found any taller ones that werent steel

Finally got the tranny flushed :) used my maglite as a cheater bar (after removing the batteries of course) that thing comes in handy for all sorts of things! That fluid was gross, dark dark red, almost brownish and it smelled bad, not burned but bad. Cant quite put my finger on that smell just yet, well maybe like its been in there for (quite) a few yrs. Also looks like there was dirt or something in it as well, the oil pan I used has a top that it drains onto then goes into the pan itself and theres residue on the top with sand like solids...Im not sure what the previous owners did/failed to do.

So is my car supposed to be more sluggish? Shifts a LOT better (doesnt sit redlining, doesnt shift hard, and the grinding sound is gone completely) but takes longer to go thru the gears