Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's been too cold to get a good look but on a 93 Legacy, there appears to be a leak coming down from the filler tube to the gas tank. The tank was filled this week and the leak proceeded for quite some time afterwards.

The car may have taken a hit in its unknown past as the bracket is torn loose from the body. The leak is internal to some sort of protective shield (?) or mounting sleeve. Other than an old crimp now rusting through, does anyone have any idea about potential cause or a parts diagram of the tank and filler tube area?

Had the same thing happen to me once; fill tube leaks for a while after a fill until the tank gets down to 1/2-2/3 level. Replaced the fill tube and the problem solved ($230 part at my local dealer. Available for less at parts.com). See here for a nice diagram of the filler/tank/pump assembly.

https://www.parts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213799&chapter=AEL7520&appSectionid=2782&groupid=2783&subgroupid=4022&componentid=0&make=32&model=Legacy&year=1993&graphicID=7520408&callout=6&catalogid=2

There is a plastic shield with a hole at the bottom protecting the pipe from road debris. When you replace the pipe clean out the sand and dirt from inside the shield.

Had the same thing happen to me once; fill tube leaks for a while after a fill until the tank gets down to 1/2-2/3 level. Replaced the fill tube and the problem solved ($230 part at my local dealer. Available for less at parts.com). See here for a nice diagram of the filler/tank/pump assembly.

https://www.parts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213799&chapter=AEL7520&appSectionid=2782&groupid=2783&subgroupid=4022&componentid=0&make=32&model=Legacy&year=1993&graphicID=7520408&callout=6&catalogid=2

There is a plastic shield with a hole at the bottom protecting the pipe from road debris. When you replace the pipe clean out the sand and dirt from inside the shield.

Was the pipe crimped or rotted out? Where was the leak?

Did you do the job yourself? What's the degree of difficulty and were there any tips to pass along?

Was the pipe crimped or rotted out? Where was the leak?

Pipe had rusted through. To be expected when steel is exposed to an unstable, corrosive solvent like gasoline. Couldn't tell exactly where it was but there was a fair amount of corrosion along the length of the tube.

Did you do the job yourself? What's the degree of difficulty and were there any tips to pass along?

I tried to do so at first but couldn't get the screws off the top of the fill pipe. Eventually had my mechanic finish the job with the appropriate penetrating oil. Aside from this it shouldn't be too difficult; just remove the right rear tire and the whole pipe is visible from inside the wheel well.

how do know if there is a leak coming from the filler tube? Can you see it? I've been getting a 0440 code(evaportive emissions below threshold) about once a week on my 98 Forester. And usually accompanied by a 0420 code. I've crawled under my vehicle and haven't noticed and leaks. But noticed I have pretty nice size dent on the bottom of the fuel tank from off-roading. Is the filler tube common for leaks? Do you think I have the same problem or something else?

There was a sizeable puddle of gas under the right rear tire. Haven't yet figured out if owner was overly "generous" in topping off the tank. Awaiting a thaw here in the northeast to get down and dirty with the bugger, the plan is to keep it about 3/4 full until then.

I don't know if this early model had all them fancy codes of the newer cars.

I think for the 1993, there was only code 001 - car good and 002 - car broken. Then there was the obvious Note: check for puddle oil, gas, water etc. or car on fire (refer to code 002).

I had to replace the filler tube on my fuel tank last year for the exact same problem.

I had a local independent shop do it, and it cost around $250 as I recall.

I was kind of upset about it, but what can you do?

i too had to replace mine,protective shield just keep dirt&moisture near tube/caused it to rust.

didn't cost me anything though for new tube/friend had spare ones around.