Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My exhaust was smoking (not too bad) for about 2 days now the exhaust sounds different but no smoke. 97 OBS 2.2L with 185k. Its never had a problem with burning oil and exhaust doesnt smell like any fuilds burning...it smells like pure CO. So I think that the cats are bad. But Ive never heard of this happening suddenly or that it would cause smoking. Exhaust doesnt seems restricted, if anything its been freed up, it has a throaty sound and kinda gargles when you let off the gas. I like how it sounds but I want to make this car last and I dont have much money to spend. Would it hurt anything to just not do anything? Messed up O2 inputs, wrong fuel mixture, burn up piston rings??? Can I replace the 2 cats and resonator with a universal cat with an O2 sensor on inlet and outlet? Or do you think there is something different going gone? Im baised towards thinking its not the engine. Check engine light hasnt come on. Any ideas? Ive checked the archives but...

Thanks JESSE