Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright...I knocked the PCV tube off (accidentally) when the car was running and it sputtered and almost died. I stuck it back on as quickly as I could, and it ran smooth again. Now I have a CEL light. What should I do to turn it off?

Unhook the negitive battery cable for like 15 minutes, then let it idle for 5 minutes. This will reset the ECU. If the light comes back on, then take it to auto zone and have them pull the code for you.

And...on Subaru Legacys, 1995 and newer, you can use an OBDII reader. I am not sure about other models and it having to be a 96 or newer...

Once the Fuel Trim monitor sees the lean condition is gone under the same conditions (engine load + RPM, called a "window") three times in a row, it will shut the CEL off, and the code will be cleared after 40 warm-up cycles (warm up cycle is defined as the coolant temperature rising 40 degrees above startup temperature AND rising to at least 160 degrees)

also, unhooking the negative cable MIGHT turn the MIL off but it WILL NOT clear the codes, as they are in Non-Volatile memory.

Unhook the negitive battery cable for like 15 minutes, then let it idle for 5 minutes. This will reset the ECU.

This won't work on OBD-II cars. You might be able to put the light out temporarily, but the codes are stored in a flash memory and cannot be erased by taking power away. If the condition persists, the CEL will come back on. If you have removed the condition that is setting off the light, after a number of key cycles and driving, the CEL will go off on it's own. It's quicker to simply clear the CEL with an OBD-II scanner once the offending condition is repaired.