Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Drive Shaft, Same Clunks

Thanks to the help of everybody on this board, especially the thread at http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2576&highlight=axle+removal, I've managed to replace the right front drive shaft.

The same symptoms still exist, though: When in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gears, and turning about ~3,000 RPM's, and I left off the gas quickly, I hear two clunks in succession from what appears to be the right front. It's worst in first, moderate in second, and light in third. In fourth and fifth, I don't notice it.

I have noticed that the engine seems to "decelerate" quicker in the lower gears... I'm wondering if there's a correlation between how quickly it decelerates and the severity of the clunks.

Seein' as I found this after going down a hill, hearing a grinding sound in the right front, and discovering the loose and missing bolts on the right front engine mount, I'm wondering if the engine mount itself is worn or damaged. That might explain the apparent correlation between the clunks and the deceleration of the engine.

That grinding in reverse is still there, too... the more I let off on the clutch, the more it's there. It's been there since I bought the car, though... I'm wondering if that's normal?

Anybody have any ideas?

Advance Auto Parts has a replacement ball joint for about US$22. I can handle that price :-).

I learned from the drive axle replacement that there's a set of tools for a job that make life so much easier (e.g.: a pin punch and light ball peen hammer for the inner CV joint spring pin, a block of wood and a good 3 lbs. hammer for driving the axle out, etc.). Anything here that'll make life a bit easier?

for ball joints, get a "fork" style puller. Many auto parts places - Autozone for one - do the "loaner" tool program. You buy it - then bring it back for full refund when your done, or keep it if you like, since you already paid for it. Pretty cool when you need a puller for something like that, or a bottle brush hone for your occasional engine rebuild, etc.

Oh - and your "grinding" when in reverse - is that a high-pitched whine? Most cars sound like that - it's normal. The reason has to do with the design of the reverse gear - it's a straight tooth gear, rather than a roller style gear, so it's completely normal for reverse to "whine" - and it will pick up as you accelerate in reverse.

GD

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

for ball joints, get a "fork" style puller. Many auto parts places - Autozone for one - do the "loaner" tool program. You buy it - then bring it back for full refund when your done, or keep it if you like, since you already paid for it. Pretty cool when you need a puller for something like that, or a bottle brush hone for your occasional engine rebuild, etc.

Actually, I used their loan program to borrow a three jaw gear puller... took that hub/rotor rump roast'y off really quickly :D.

Oh - and your "grinding" when in reverse - is that a high-pitched whine? Most cars sound like that - it's normal. The reason has to do with the design of the reverse gear - it's a straight tooth gear, rather than a roller style gear, so it's completely normal for reverse to "whine" - and it will pick up as you accelerate in reverse.

GD

Nah... it's not that sound. I'm used to the high-pitched sound of reverse... that sounds almost like a little wind-up car, I guess :-). This is definitely a low pitch, almost grinding, sound.

Is this a 4wd??? If so is the driveshaft hitting the bottom of the shifter linkage. Maybe check the bolts securing the caliper to the knuckle. If loose it will clunk and at a point it will rub the inside of a rim especially in reverse. With 14" pug alloys it'll jam solid actually LOL

Next time you go to remove the hub - just smack the axle end with a hammer, and block of wood - just like you are taking it out - works great - removed every hub I've encountered that way. Pullers are nice - especially when they're free, but time can be a factor too. Takes me 30 minutes to run to Autozone for a tool - makes my blood boil every time I have to do that....

GD