Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rebuilding motor mounts with urethane

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 05 March 2005 - 04:36 PM

I have some 3M window weld (poly urethane) and caulking gun here and my engine is sitting out in my driveway. I thought I would inspect the old motor mounts to see what I would find and possibly rebuild them with urethane.

One of the motor mounts still looks good, while the other came off in two pieces and looked like charcoal (it was involved in an engine fire back in 2002). I am using the following website for guidance:
http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

My question is, should I remove the rest of the charcoaled rubber off before filling it with urethane? Also about the other good engine mount, do I leave it alone and reuse it or should I remove all or some of the rubber and refill with urethane? Would it be bad to have one side with a urethane mount and the other stock (made with softer rubber)?

My other options are to buy a new engine mount to replace the bad one and reuse the second good one or to buy two new engine mounts.

#2 Handtool

Handtool

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Yelm

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:54 PM

I'd did the 3M windoweld treatment to my motor mounts about 3 years ago. Never again. I let them cure for 3 days and then put everything back together. The heat from the y-pipe melted all the windoweld out after the first day of driving. What a mess. I ended up just getting some good junkyard motor mounts. If your going to do it make sure you let that stuff cure. Good luck.

#3 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:14 PM

3 days should have been plenty of time to let them cure. Maybe I should just not bother with it then and buy one new motor mount. Is there anybody who had good results making the homemade motor mounts?

#4 breaffyaviation

breaffyaviation

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • chicago

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:31 PM

I believe I have a good set of mounts laying around for an 86 wagon with an Ea 82 .Send a P M if you need them and Ill go check.

Jude

#5 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:48 PM

I believe I have a good set of mounts laying around for an 86 wagon with an Ea 82 .Send a P M if you need them and Ill go check.

Jude

I just need one good motor mount for the right side if you got it.

#6 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:01 PM

i've had huge success with welding plates between the two pieces of metal, and making them solid.

#7 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:21 AM

I'd did the 3M windoweld treatment to my motor mounts about 3 years ago. Never again. I let them cure for 3 days and then put everything back together. The heat from the y-pipe melted all the windoweld out after the first day of driving. What a mess. I ended up just getting some good junkyard motor mounts. If your going to do it make sure you let that stuff cure. Good luck.

I did my motor and tranny mounts, and let them cure for about 7 days before installing. have had them in almost a year now with no problems....

just a lot of vibration..... :grin:

#8 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:27 AM

I did 2

the driver side mount I burned off ALL of the old rubber, cleaned up the metal, drilled many 1/8" holes, and filled it in

the other one I just added to

let set for a week, and install

still no problems

#9 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:59 AM

i've had huge success with welding plates between the two pieces of metal, and making them solid.

You're joking, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users