Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuilding motor mounts with urethane

I have some 3M window weld (poly urethane) and caulking gun here and my engine is sitting out in my driveway. I thought I would inspect the old motor mounts to see what I would find and possibly rebuild them with urethane.

One of the motor mounts still looks good, while the other came off in two pieces and looked like charcoal (it was involved in an engine fire back in 2002). I am using the following website for guidance:

http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

My question is, should I remove the rest of the charcoaled rubber off before filling it with urethane? Also about the other good engine mount, do I leave it alone and reuse it or should I remove all or some of the rubber and refill with urethane? Would it be bad to have one side with a urethane mount and the other stock (made with softer rubber)?

My other options are to buy a new engine mount to replace the bad one and reuse the second good one or to buy two new engine mounts.

I'd did the 3M windoweld treatment to my motor mounts about 3 years ago. Never again. I let them cure for 3 days and then put everything back together. The heat from the y-pipe melted all the windoweld out after the first day of driving. What a mess. I ended up just getting some good junkyard motor mounts. If your going to do it make sure you let that stuff cure. Good luck.

I believe I have a good set of mounts laying around for an 86 wagon with an Ea 82 .Send a P M if you need them and Ill go check.

Jude

I just need one good motor mount for the right side if you got it.

I'd did the 3M windoweld treatment to my motor mounts about 3 years ago. Never again. I let them cure for 3 days and then put everything back together. The heat from the y-pipe melted all the windoweld out after the first day of driving. What a mess. I ended up just getting some good junkyard motor mounts. If your going to do it make sure you let that stuff cure. Good luck.

I did my motor and tranny mounts, and let them cure for about 7 days before installing. have had them in almost a year now with no problems....

just a lot of vibration..... :grin: